alternator troubles!

swl

Seaman
Just got new alt. for my 89 maxum mercruiser 3.0 Can anyone tell me what the heck the terminals mean? It has P,B,L2,EXC,S and E. Which one gets battery voltage, which one gets it from ignition, which one is output? Seems to me this shouldn't be that hard, but i can't find this info anywhere! It's a 55 amp. supposed to be mando replacement, but it looks a little bit different on the back

StevNimrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: alternator troubles!

Just got new alt. for my 89 maxum mercruiser 3.0 Can anyone tell me what the heck the terminals mean? It has P,B,L2,EXC,S and E. Which one gets battery voltage, which one gets it from ignition, which one is output? Seems to me this shouldn't be that hard, but i can't find this info anywhere! It's a 55 amp. supposed to be mando replacement, but it looks a little bit different on the back

Welcome to iBoats!

To my knowledge, the terminals mean:

P = AC output to a tachometer
B = alternator's output terminal
L2 = connection to an idiot light on instrument cluster
EXC = field excitation terminal (goes to +12V when ignition ON)
S = voltage sense terminal for alternator's internal regulator
E = earth terminal

Hopefully someone will chime in shortly with more specifics. Maybe a call in to the people who made the unit will be helpful.

swl

Seaman
Re: alternator troubles!

Thank you. Sounds good, jst didn't want to fry anything!!! It will be nice seeing steady voltage for once. going fishing tomorrow am, sure goofy voltage isn't good for electronics.