Alternator problem (update)

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like my alternator has gone kaput. Is it worth trying to rebuild? I would guess its either the voltage regulator or the diode. It sat for a LONG time and possibly got wet along the way.

Uraijit

Banned
Re: Alternator problem

What engine/alternator?

If it's just a diode, it's probably easiest to just replace it.

If the alternator got wet and rusted, you'll be better off just buying a new one. You can probably find a replacement alternator for pretty cheap. DB Electric has some great deals. That's where I got my starter from, for about 1/4 the cost of the dealer.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Depends on the situation some times you can have the rebuilt cheap look for a local auto electic shop if they have a good rep most of the time thay can save you 50 - 75 % the cost of new (at least in my experiance)

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the link to DB electric. The rebuild kit is $75 and they only want $89 for a new one. That's the way to go for sure. Its a mondo on a 84 120 mercruiser. I think I'll go this route.

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alternator problem (update)

Ok, I installed a new mando alternator yesterday. Trouble is, I'm still only getting 12.5 volts at the battery. I'll check tonight to see what I'm getting at the back of the alternator. Would you suspect a bad ground somewhere, or something sucking off the volts?