Alternator Help

Superbee

Seaman
Have an old boat Merc motor v-8 327 64-67<br />Took Alternator had it tested and it didn't work<br />diodes bad No Amps<br />Now i know this is a Marine Alternator we tryed to cross ref it with no luck skipped that number<br />we pulled an alt with one number down this alt looks the same but the back, my question is can i buy this and swap some parts around to make this work?? use the Back of the alt i have but use the front of the other Alt?<br />The Alt i have is 1100772-32a<br />Whats the difference?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alternator Help

Before you start half a$$ing the alternator parts together to make something that may or may not work, and of which if it does go bad later no body will remember what part belongs to what and which part is needed to............. well you see what I mean.<br />Get an alternator with the proper mounting and find out how it's supposed to be wired and wire it that way. And make a wiring diagram.

Superbee

Seaman

I seen he price tag on a replacment $600 no way i'm spending that much, i just looked at eBay new and rebuilt Marine Alternators going for around $50 to $100 i can live with that and they are 1 wire<br />what do you think?

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I converted to 1 wire marine for my old OMC... Pretty easy change thanks to the advice I got here. If you go this route, make sure you get one that bolts right up. Making brackets and stuff can't be too safe or easy. <br /><br />I agree with Don, don't try to make something. Get a direct replacement or have yours rebuilt.

Superbee

Seaman

what do i need to do just ask what the bolt pattern is or something, or do they have a class of the Delco Alternators?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No way did I say you needed to get the exact Mercruiser alternator, I said find one with the proper mounting feet and wire it according to the alternator manufactures spec.<br />I have no idea what the mounting method is for a 64-68 327, and except for someone that does have one, it's not going to be a common item that anyone else is going to know about.<br />Pull the old alternator and head for NAPA or any other auto store that sells ARCO marine alternators. Then start comparing the mounting feet and find one that will work.<br />You might even take your old alternater to a starter/alternator repair facility and they can either fix or tell you a good replacement. Just don't start mixing parts and end up with something that can never be repaired or figured out in the future.

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry Don... I didn't mean to twist your words. just kinda came out that way i guess.<br /><br />That's exactly what I did was take my old alternator to the nearest parts warehouse and compared until I found a suitable 1-wire that would bolt up the same. Lucky for me I managed to get one free from a friend (long story, but yes, it was legal!)

Superbee

Seaman

I going to Napa today with he Alternator, i will see what they have.

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

You can get your marine alternator repaired for less than $100 dollars up here. They will put new diodes, regulator, explosion proof screens, etc in it. Make a few phone calls and check the prices in your area.

Superbee

Seaman

Mine was too old to repair plus it was only a 30amp<br />i wanted more, so i bought a new one $85 not as bad as i thought<br />Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

so i bought a new one $85 not as bad as i thought
Marine Rated,..... Spark Shielded ??????<br /><br />I Bet Not....... :rolleyes: BOOM....... :(