Alternator DYI Advice and Questions (Rotor and Stator)

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Folks..<br /><br />First, I have a 225HP 2.7L 6cyl "Looper" Seadrive, 1987. I now understand this contains a 35A Alternator. This is a common alternator for all you folks with 6-8 Cyl OMC/E'rude/Johnsons:<br /><br />I just pulled the flywheel (came off with a gunshot. 'Nearly wet myself. WEAR EYE PROTECTION.)<br /><br />Get this, a magnet fell loose on the rotor/flywheel. Now there is a wrench in the machine. This loose magnet smashed everything under that flywheel. Vibrations shook loose bolts in the area.<br /><br />Killed the stator. A 225HP Cuisinart, it was.<br /><br />So, time to pick up the pieces. Here's my education to anyone listening:<br /><br />1. The stator is not terrible. $170 at Boat US. Pay $21 for express delivery + tax: $200. No core needed.<br /><br />2. The ROTOR/Flywheel: Here's the trick.. Depending on who you talk to, some OEM stores try to screw you. The less honest ones will tell you, "Buy a new flywheel. $840.00" The better stores will sell you a "Magnet repair kit." $13 per magnet (six total, if all have failed.) The epoxy is a few dollars more. Your time is free. :) <br /><br />ALL 35A charge systems are subject to this potential problem, I am advised. ..And this solution. Don't get stuck with an unnecessary $840.<br /><br /><br />Question: Remember I mentioned loose bolts as a result? Six of eight 1/4"-20 x 0.75" bolts were lost/missing on the upper crankcase head. I replaced these with stainless 1/4" - 20 x 1.0" bolts and added a split washer to each. <br /><br />I found no interference when I put these in. Am I tapdancing in a minefield? Please advise.<br /><br />Ken - Red Bank