Alternator capacity

sdculp

Cadet
I recently purchased a used Starcraft 16 foot runabout with a 50 hp Merc ob--3 or 4 years old. The trolling motor uses a separate battery. After a week or so of camping the trolling battery will probably run down. Does the Merc alternator have enough capacity to recharge the trolling battery? If so, what is the best procedure to follow?<br /><br />Stu Culp

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Alternator capacity

Welcome to iboats!!<br /><br />Probably around 15 - 18 amps at revs above at least 1500rpm. It will charge a deep, but it will take eons to do it.<br /><br />You need to go to plan 'B', a genny or solar or extra deeps.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Bring booster cables along and charge off your car. It will take time as well, but the alternators on cars produce way more amps.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Agree trying to recharge trolling motor batt is a waste of time with your OB.<br /><br />Thought about bringing several batteries along or bringing a charger and a gasoline fired APU which could power electric lights for you or run a small fridge also??? Extra batteries would be lighter and cheaper.<br /><br />Mark

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

stu, I use two batts wired parallel for my 12v trolling motor - last camping trip fished five days, still plenty of juice on the last day. Better than using one battery at a time I think. But they have to be identical, same age, charged together and discharged together, else the weaker will just drain the stronger and you lose energy. I use the $35 everstart marine deepcycles at wallyworld.<br /><br />The jumper cable idea...might be cheaper (less gas) to get an inverter and plug your charger into it...but I'm not sure about that. With the price of gas could be better to just splurge on the campsite with electric. Or get a really long extension cord and snake it throught the campground......<br /><br />or here's some plans for homemade generator made from a mower motor and automotive alternator - best check for noise regulations where you're camping.<br /><br />welcome to the forum!