Alright all you Alaskans!

eeboater

Commander
I'm going to be there in June. Flying into Anchorage and renting a 32' RV for a week. What can I do?!<br /><br />Sean<br /><br />Also -- anyone fly there recently? What did you pay for the flight?

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Alright all you Alaskans!

Rest your arms first, that is a lot of flapping. :D :D

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Rest em cause you'll need them to beat the mosquitoes away from ya!<br />leave Ancorage and go north to Denali. then to Fairbanks and then to Tok, Down to (at least) Valdez. Then back to Ancorage, kind of a loop. When your back in ancorage, call home and arrange to take another month off and drive through Jasper national park in Canada! While youre in Ancorage...eat some crab. when you get to Valdez, Stop at the Safeway, see mike at the butcher shop and tell him to give you some of his home made canned salmon and watch him feed the Egales out the back door of the store. He'll show you where you can throw some "pinks" for salmon. Have fun and post your return pictures!..sl Tell Mike that steve and carol from so. ca. said hi!!!! and that the salmon was GREAT....We ate it in JENEAU!...sl

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

OK,<br />What week of June?<br />Could make a difference. Are you planning on doing any fishing? June is the early part of salmon season. If it is around June 15th, that is opening day on the Russian river. One of the most picturesque settings in AK. Here is a link to the fishing regs website Fishing Regs These are for 2004, but should be updated soon.<br /><br />One of the best things in the world for planning a trip up here. The Milepost. It is a book that lists all the highways (all 6 or 7 of them) and breaks it down by mile markers as to what business' or entertainment opportunities exist.<br /><br />If you drive to Fairbanks, take it slow. Stop and see the Southern viewpoint of Denali. It is best to do this on a spur of the moment. You need a CLEAR day. The mountain is tall enough to generate it's own weather, and the top is usually clouded in. <br />While up that way, take the bus trip into the park. It is something like 8 hours long. They drive slow to let you catch all the sights. There are usually moose, caribou, bears, and sometimes wolves to see. <br /><br />I could try to meet you at the airport and get you to the RV place if needed. It will depend on work, but shouldn't be a problem.<br /><br />My home e-mail is kcchappy (AT) gci.net<br />Make sure the title is something to give me a clue. That way I don't delete it with the spam :mad: <br /><br />AK Chappy

eeboater

Commander

Wow, AK -- I'm flattered, thanks for the offer! But apparently the RV place has a shuttle from the airport, so we're going to be good in that respect. <br /><br />Coincidentlly, we are going to be there from June 10th thru the 19th. Is the Russian river a "must see"? <br /><br />I'm going to write that down and forward it to my parents, they are the ones "Officially" planning the trip. My wife and I decided to self invite ourselves. :D I can't wait to go up there. Being from the mainland it sounds weird, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me. With all the places you can go in the world, chances are we won't be back. I love the outdoors so it will be good to see all that Ak has to offer. <br /><br />Do you know where I can get a copy of The Milepost? <br /><br />I don't anticipate that we will be doing any fishing since I will be with my non-fishing parents. Do you mind if I shoot you an email or two over the next few months if I have any questions?<br /><br />Thanks again for the offer for the ride!<br /><br />Sean

eeboater

Commander

Am I correct when I see only ONE highway leaving Anchorage to the North?!!?

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

kinda to the North, ha! Denali is on the way. <br />several places you can charter a flight over some glaciers and the Denali area too...sl

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

ROFLMAO!!!<br /><br />Yes, you are correct. That would be the Glenn Highway. The Glenn meets the Parks Highway and then the Richardson Highway. The Denali highway cuts between the two, but is rough and you would have to go about 30 mph the whole way. The Richardson meets the Dalton haul road and the Steese Highway.<br /><br />The Seward Highway goes South. The Seward meets the Sterling Highway.<br />That would be about it.<br /><br />If you are with non-fishing people, the Russian is a beautiful river, but is a bit of a hike down the trail. <br />The Kings will be running full steam. The Kenai river is a wonderful green. One of the most beautiful rivers in the world, IMHO. I can arrange a float trip while your parents drive the RV down to the pickup point. We could fish for Kings all the way down. BTW, the World Record King came from this river!! 98 lbs. I have a friend who promised to drift me down the river in his boat, I could be able to hooook you up. <br /><br />IMO, some places to see. <br />Hope, AK. A little end of the road town. <br />Denali on a clear day. The igloo a little further up the road. <br />Take a drive back to the Peter's Creek Roadhouse. Not far from Talkeetna. A little off trail, a little back in time. I usually only go there in the winter on snowmachines. <br />Homer, AK and a halibut charter, another end of the road town. <br />Fishing and camping at Crooked Creek campground in Kasilof, AK. (Kings will be in then too) I might be able to get you out on the beach a bit down the road, if I can get time off.<br />There is soooooo much to do and see, but in a week.....it depends on what you want to see and what you expect to see. If you expect to see native Alaskans living in huts and igloos, you are out of luck. If you expect to see some of the most beautiful country in the world, you are in for a treat.<br /><br />You can send me all the e-mail you want. I will try to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability.<br /><br />To get the Milepost, here is one place.<br /> Milepost <br />You should be able to order one and get it pretty quick. If you need, I can pick one up and mail it to you. It is a bit overwhelming. There is a lottttt of info in it. One place you have to stop at, if the parent's aren't too (what's the word) shy, maybe. Skinny Di**'s Halfway Inn. Get a shirt from there, it is a must!! Good friendly bar up north. Just remember, this a VERY large state. If you take your time, it could take a week to go from Anchorage to Fairbanks, to GlennAllen, and back to Anchorage.<br /><br />Good day trips, Hike Flattop, Thunderbird Falls, Portage Glacier cruise and Big Game Alaska, Glacier cruise out of Seward, Drive thru tunnel to Whittier (Costs about $40 for an RV), Tram trip up Mt Alyeska (Winter ski resort, summer -mountain bike down). Lots to do and see.<br /><br />AK Chappy

eeboater

Commander

Hey AK!!!<br /><br />Here's what we are going to do while up nort dere hey...<br /><br />Denali Bus Tour<br />Jeep Backcountry Tour<br />26 Glacier Catamaran Tour<br /><br />I'm really looking forward to the backcountry tour. I looooove jeepin!<br /><br />Also, the glacier thing should be pretty sweet as well.<br /><br />Sean

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Sounds like a lot of fun!!<br /><br />The Jeep Backcountry Tour will be awesome.<br />Lots of Wildlife to see on the Denali Tour.<br />I have heard great things about the Glacier Cruise also. <br /><br />AK Chappy

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

AK, is the Russian on the Kenai Peninsula? We walked up the trail (easy hike) to the spot where the salmon were jumping up the falls. I tried to take pictures, but it is almost impossible to get stills. We also took a float plane. It took off from one of those little lakes around Soldotna. It was way cool but a little pricy for a phone guy. Flew over the glacier. We took a bay cruise out of Seward. Also pricey but we saw a lot of aquatic life, whales etc and again the glacier. This was done in 4 days with 3 days of fishing in between. The best trip ever. Have a great trip ee. I'd go again in a heartbeat. Mark

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

The fishing on the Russian is much lower than the falls.<br /><br />The falls is an excellent place for photos. But, like you discovered, timing is everything. Polarized glasses and the sun at your back helps to time the shot.<br /><br />AK is the most wonderful place I have ever been. If you can stand the cold in the winter, it is the best place in the world to live.<br /><br />AK Chappy

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Ohhhhhh <br />EE<br />Are you bringing the girl in the avatar??????<br /><br />I can definitely arrange the camp sites if you do!!<br /><br />AK Chappy

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by AK Chappy:<br /> Ohhhhhh <br />EE<br />Are you bringing the girl in the avatar??????<br /><br />I can definitely arrange the camp sites if you do!!<br /><br />AK Chappy
I'd love to...(so would my 16 yr old brother) but I think Mrs. EEboater may protest :D