Alpoha 1 G 2 Water Pump Metal gasket Question

PeterB26

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am in the process of replacing my Alpha 1 Gen 2 water pump. I am using a Mercury repair kit 817275K05 which I have had in my basement for a while unopened. When I opened this kit there are TWO identical metal gaskets for beneath the wear plate. The rest is all familiar stuff that you need including O-rings, quad ring, key, etc. I am wondering why there were two metal gaskets for under the wear plate? Was this just a packing goof at the factory or is there more to it than that?
Also are you supposed to use some sort of form-a-gasket or perfect seal on that metal gasket? These gaskets are stiff metal, not like the soft metal gaskets used in manifolds and risers.
In some water pump kits there would be alternate gaskets for different models of drives, but these two gaskets are identical.
Thanks.
PeterB26

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Going from memory , You need a gasket on each side of the wear plate I think the last kit I got had two slightly different metal gaskets. Did you have three in there? Maybe past pic of what’s in the kit
when I first saw these metal gaskets I called mercruiser support to ask if sealant is used, they to,d me dry no sealer, tech guy at nu wave marine said use permeatex #3 . have done it both ways no issues either way. Certainly if mounting face of drive has corrosion pits I would smear a light coating of #3

PeterB26

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for your reply.
There is a normal paper-like top gasket with a bead of sealant on it for above the wear plate and two identical metal gaskets that are the correct size and shape to go under the wear plate -- so yes, three gaskets.
After quite a bit of searching here and elsewhere on the internet I can't find any references to using more than one metal gasket under the wear plate, so I am thinking that when they packed the kit somebody stuck two of the same metal gaskets in the package by mistake. Or maybe there were supposed to be two different metal gaskets in the kit for different models of drives but I got two of the same?
There is no mention of the metal gasket use in my older factory service manual and no description in the service kit package, so I just want to be sure to do it right the first time and do it only once!
My drives are getting to be more than 20 years old now. The sealing surface on the lower gear case for the water pump is OK but far from mirror smooth. A paper gasket would definitely seal without any extra sealant, but a hard metal gasket? I dunno. I think I'll use a bit of Aviation form-a-gasket at that spot unless there is a compelling reason not to.
PeterB26

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks for your reply.
There is a normal paper-like top gasket with a bead of sealant on it for above the wear plate and two identical metal gaskets that are the correct size and shape to go under the wear plate -- so yes, three gaskets.
After quite a bit of searching here and elsewhere on the internet I can't find any references to using more than one metal gasket under the wear plate, so I am thinking that when they packed the kit somebody stuck two of the same metal gaskets in the package by mistake. Or maybe there were supposed to be two different metal gaskets in the kit for different models of drives but I got two of the same?
There is no mention of the metal gasket use in my older factory service manual and no description in the service kit package, so I just want to be sure to do it right the first time and do it only once!
My drives are getting to be more than 20 years old now. The sealing surface on the lower gear case for the water pump is OK but far from mirror smooth. A paper gasket would definitely seal without any extra sealant, but a hard metal gasket? I dunno. I think I'll use a bit of Aviation form-a-gasket at that spot unless there is a compelling reason not to.
PeterB26
Yeah what you describe they just over packed the kit. Yes #3 wont hurt but I had no issue with sealing it dry either. My boat is 20 years old too… bottom line dont over think it, it’s not rocket surgery

PeterB26

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks. Makes sense. Just feel better confirming instead of doing the job twice out of ignorance.
PeterB26