Alpha one shift slide removal help

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello I'm trying to take shift cable off 1988 alpha one. Only issue I'm worried about is shift slide. theirs set screw I want to know what tool is needed to take that set screw off. their is also a nut on cable that needs to be taken off, do I need special tool for that and is their any other socket I can use to take it off. the help would be great. Thanks

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Alpha one shift slide removal help

You can take off the slide by removing the wire and undoing the setscrew, you use an allen drive or wrench. Before that you must first remove the end inside the boat. The cable end is removed with a double length socket that you can get special or you can get a 9/16 spark plug socket with a hex on it's back end and put another long socket on IT. I have a 9/16" Craftsman spark plug socket that I can put a 5/8 deep socket on the back of. That will give you enough length over the cable end to reach.

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok I have one like that, spark plug socket. will the wall clear my normal socket thickness I hear everyone saying that you have to thin out the wall of the socket. Is this true or I'm good using the normal spark plug socket.

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok any tricks taking out the hinge pins with out the tool. any one.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't understand this spark plug socket thing. Spark plugs are 5/8" or 13/16" and the cable is 9/16". Get a deep well 9/16" socket and another socket, even a standard depth socket will work, and weld on top of the deep socket to make it longer so the white guide tube on the end of the cable has a place to go.

You may need heat on the hinge pins if locktite was used. A 1/2" allen wrench will fit the hinge pin.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

1/2 inch allen wrench and a torch unless of course there really corroded in place. Then you need to weld a nut to the hinge pin .

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok guys thanks. So I took the set screw off shift slide but the cable still stuck. I can't get slide off stillšŸ˜°. What's next

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh shut I'm dumn, I have to take the inner core out my way correct.

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1/2 inch alen would work on hinge pins but don't get the welding part

NHGuy

Captain

If they are just horribly corroded you end up welding something to the hinge pins to get enough purchase on them to turn them.

The doubled up 9/16" socket is a way to avoid buying the double depth 9/16" special socket. I found that out by accident because I have a motor with 9/16" spark plugs.

Speed1v8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got them. Another thing guys, when i took drive off I notice grease All over bellows and at bottom In between the ribs their was lil bit of grease but lil more watery like oily. My unjoint not rusty but clean metal. Bellows look ok, no rips. if their was a bellow leak will I notice big puddle in their of water.

NHGuy

Captain

I would always change the bellows when I don't know it's history. You are already in there, they don't cost much compared to a failure.