Alpha One shift shaft seal

richard99

Seaman Apprentice
Greeting to all, again - <br /><br />I have a 1986 Four Winns with a Merc 140 (A590703)and Alpha One (A558018). I need to replace the shift shaft seal and after removing the old one, went to my local Mercury parts place. They handed me part number 26-816464-1. The seal is about 3/4" in diameter and about 1/4" thick, and way larger than my original (5/8 x 1/8). The guy at the desk says maybe I didn't get all of the original piece out, because these seals have always been the larger size.<br /> <br />Well, I've been in the machine trades way too long to make that mistake - I know .625 when I see it.<br /><br />This is the last thing keeping my boat out of the water. Can I get any guidance from the experts on this?<br />Again, thanks in advance to all.<br />Rich

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Alpha One shift shaft seal

If I'm not mistaken, Mercruiser did change the design of the shift shaft seal. The newer style is bigger. I recently replaced mine and I seem to remember the newer style being substantially larger.

richard99

Seaman Apprentice

You wouldn't perchance happen to have the wrapper (with the part number) that the new one came in, wouldja? :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need the bushing and seal kit # 26-806036A 1 which is designed for the 5/8" hole.

richard99

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don - it showed up under #23-806036A 1 rather than #26-etc. Unfortunately, it was a bushing kit for the larger (3/4") size. I will be going to the dealer with all the serial numbers I can find plus the bell housing itself to see if that will help in our part search.<br />Man, what a pain!