Alpha One outdrives seemes to be locking up the 3.0

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a throttle cable issue, over revved the motor thought i had lock up the motor. Pulled the outdrive and found now i could turn the motor over as well as start. Then checked the outdrive seems to turn the drive shaft when rotating the prop by hand in fwd and rev but and not in neutral which seems normal. Re-installed the outdrive engine started tried to put in fwd gear and the motor died then tried to restart and the engine would not turn over again. After looking at multi things found that if i put the out drive in gear and rotate it by had it allows the engine to turn again. I assumed i have down something to the outdrive but what should i check to determine if it is the lower unit or upper unit. Thanks for any help

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alpha One outdrives seemes to be locking up the 3.0

Ayuh,... Drain the oil, lookin' for Metal,... then split the cases,...

Manually turnin' the units oughta give ya an idea of where yer lookin',...

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do that next looks like the weekend is going to be occupied

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

you can turn it by hand, but a 10+HP starter motor can't?
Seized gimbal bearing and maybe alignment issue is what I'm thinking.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Re-installed the outdrive engine started tried to put in fwd gear and the motor died then tried to restart and the engine would not turn over again. After looking at multi things found that if i put the out drive in gear and rotate it by had it allows the engine to turn again. I assumed i have down something to the outdrive but what should i check to determine if it is the lower unit or upper unit. Thanks for any help

A little unclear on what's going on. Are you saying that after it refuses to start, you're able to turn the prop with the outdrive still installed, and then the engine will turn over again? That sounds like alignment/gimbal bearing/u-joints. Agreed that if the drive itself is seized, if you can spin it by hand, your starter sure should be able to as well. Otherwise i would think an electrical issue--shift interrupt switch maybe?

nola mike

Vice Admiral

no, he took the drive off.

Sounds electrical then. The alignment wouldn't change, and the gimbal wouldn't unseize by putting the drive back on. And like I said, I agree with you that the starter should be able to turn it. So, OP, did you try rotating the engine by hand when it wouldn't start? That would for sure narrow things down...

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me try this again I must not be a very effective writer LOL. I had an issue with the shift cable alignment. When shifting from drive to neutral the engine would die. When attempting the shift cable alignment i started it several times. Then I started it pushed in to drive and my throttle cable came apart and caused my to over rev the engine. After getting the throttle back to a idle position tried to start the engine with the starter it wouldn't turn over. So attempted to rotate it by had manually rotating by grabbing the belt pulley wouldn't move. Got fed up with it and pulled it around and put it in the garage. The next day pulled the out drive off got in the boat and turned it over at the belt pulley. It seemed normal at that point. I pulled the boat out side and it started right up. Then had a look at the out drive and found that if it was in forward or reverse and i rotated the prop the drive shaft would rotate freely. Reinstalled the out drive started the engine no problem. Then i attempted to put it in forward and the engine died and then the next attempt to start with the starter yielded the same locked up as before. I then went back and tried to rotate at the pulley again and no joy. Then went back to the prop with the boat in forward gear I grabbed the prop rotated it and once again i can turn the motor over with the starter. Thanks to all that has responded. Hope this is a bit clearer

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Split the out drive at first look saw the shaft coming out of the lower had twisted at the spline. Everything in the upper looked fine. Replaced the lower half which needed to be changed anyway. The previous owner beat the heck out of it. It was missing at least a third of the skeg, didnt have a trim tab and it had a broken piece of the case that a add on fin was holding together anyway. After swapping the cases out everything seems to be working great now.