Alpha one not fully engaging reverse

Clarko1988

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got a 1987 marlin open bow the boat shifts in forward and neutral just fine but when I shift to reverse I have to pull really hard on shift cable to engage reverse. I have that cable disconnected.. could it just be worn out. Any help greatly appreciated.

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Clarko
I watched achris's video several times when I put in a new shift cable and it is without doubt THE best explanation on a "how to" I could find. I'm sure if you follow his instruction and it still doesn't work then a new cable might help.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I would start outside the boat at the bellhousing and check things like shift shoe and the shift lever .You will need the drive off to do this.see if everything is moving freely.Charlie

Clarko1988

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I installed a new shift cable it is alot better but I have to manually push the shift rod for full reverse to engage but I did notice when screwing in the shift cable it would not seat all the way down...

Clarko1988

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I installed a new shift cable it is alot better but I have to manually push the shift rod for full reverse to engage but I did notice when screwing in the shift cable it would not seat all the way in the housing could that be my problem. I still see like 2 or 3 threads

hgxsilver

Seaman Apprentice
I have the same problem. Just replaced the shift cable and it doesn't seem like it wants to grab for reverse. The drive will engage if I rotate the shift shaft on the lower unit but not by manually moving the new cable at the engine side.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
1 cable can have no more that 2 threads visible when installed
2 Adjust cable for Fwd and install cotter pin
3Adjust reverse by raising the stud the cable is attached to

Clarko1988

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's all better now! Thanks but have another problem motor is brandnew and when I go to shut motor off I it makes a knock noise or ping after turning off motor