Alpha One Lift Ram Trim Cylinder Anode

cablerum

Cadet
Hi everybody, I have a 1991 Gen 2 Alpha One. I'm attempting to install the anodes on the end of the lift rams, however I'm not having much luck. The kit I purchased says it is for 1991 - present Alpha One Gen 2. It came with 2 anodes, 4 bolts & 4 washers. At the end of my rams are 4 small holes, but none of these holes are threaded and they are slightly a larger diameter then the bolts included with the kit.

What is it that I'm missing to attached these anodes? It's like I need some sort of threaded insert like a small heli-coil or something along those lines. I've been searching online but have not come across anything.

Thanks for any advice.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Alpha One Lift Ram Trim Cylinder Anode

Need a drive serial number....

cablerum

Cadet

Need a drive serial number....

The boat is currently in the water right now, it would be a couple weeks before I could get that number. Is there a part available based on the serial number? Or is their some Gen 2's that can't have a trim cylinder anode based on serial number? Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The early Gen II trim cylinder did not have the anodes on them, nor were they drilled and tapped for them.

cablerum

Cadet

The early Gen II trim cylinder did not have the anodes on them, nor were they drilled and tapped for them.

Chances are that's my problem. Being a 1991 which was the first year of the Gen 2, most likely I have this early version. Is there an adapter or anything available to attach these anodes? If the only way to do it means swapping out the rams then I guess I'll just return the anodes.

achris

You can replace the trim ram end caps...

-806191T. About $80 each, and you'll have fun getting the old ones off... :D :D :D (I have a 'special tool' I made just for that job. It's BIG!!!)

Chris........

cablerum

Cadet

You can replace the trim ram end caps...

-806191T. About $80 each, and you'll have fun getting the old ones off... :D :D :D (I have a 'special tool' I made just for that job. It's BIG!!!)

Chris........

Thanks for the info...I lack in the patience department so I'll pass on that option! If for some reason I ever need to replace the rams & make sure to put the newer style back on. As for now, the drive still has 3 other anodes so that will just have to do. It's fresh water use and no shore power in the area so not a big deal. I would of just liked to have added them for extra protection, cheap insurance. Hopefully the store will let me return them...

achris

As long as there is continuity between the end caps and any anode on the boat, they'll be protected. If you do want to add more anodes (don't over do it though) all you need to do is bolt on the anodes anyway, and a stainless steel wire to connect them to whatever you've trying to protect.... Job done...

Chris......