Alpha One installation question - which do you think is easier

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have the entire 1987 Alpha One outdrive off of the boat and while off, I went aheand and split it in half for an impeller change.

Which is easier, install the upper back onto the boat and then install the lower?

or

Put the two halves together and then install it onto the boat as a full unit.

I typically put it back on as a full unit. I was only wondering because the upper half is so much lighter without the lower on it. But, I recall from a while back that the lower isn't all that easy to install with the upper still on the boat.

Just seeing if anyone has a preference too.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Alpha One installation question - which do you think is easier

But, I recall from a while back that the lower isn't all that easy to install with the upper still on the boat.

Just seeing if anyone has a preference too.

I've heard the same thing. Easier to install the outdrive halves together off the boat, then install the complete assembly on the boat.

I have found the little tool that holds the shift slide to be VERY helpful in installing the outdrive. Inexpensive and easy to use. It's like a third hand!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Here's the tool - the orange thing in the pic below. Priceless! ;)

DSCF8622.jpg

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I really like that tool! What is that blue stuff on top of the o-ring for the water inlet? I usually hold mine in place with bellows adhesive.

I actually wish that 2 of the 6 studs that hold the outdrive in were like 2" longer, then it would be so much easier to just hang the outdrive onto those studes and slide it on. Then again, once the outdrive was on, you wouldn't want the studs sticking out 2".

thumpar

Admiral

I always installed mine complete. That little tool sure would have come in handy but is not required.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I really like that tool! What is that blue stuff on top of the o-ring for the water inlet? I usually hold mine in place with bellows adhesive.

I always use grease on the o-ring - not bellows adhesive. It stays in place just fine. I do glue the big rubber ring in for the main bellows however.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I glue the big rubber ring too. If not, that one always seems to get in my way for some reason.

Speakrdude

Ensign

Ha! never have seen the orange thing before! Nice idea.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I've had some ask about the tool - it is MerCruiser p/n 91- 865232

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Any idea of a place online that sells it? Looks like iBoats doesn't carry it, and Mercstuff.com wants a $25 minimum order.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

There's one on ebay for $6.59 with $3 shipping. Google is your friend. ;) Or have your local Mercruiser dealer order one.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I'll have to look again. I searched on Ebay and came up blank.

kbsunlovers

Cadet

I ordered my shift shaft holder from the local dealer a few years back. They had it in two days, I didn't have to pay shipping, and I got warm and fuzzy buying local. I think he charged me 8 bucks.