Alpha One - Generation 1 Water Pump Connection

First time rebuilding the water pump in the lower unit. Haven't put it back together yet because the plastic supply tube from the water pump seems to fit very loosely on the copper tube in the upper unit.

Is this correct, or should there be an O-ring installed?

harringtondav

Commander
You'll get more feedback if this post is moved to the Mercruiser Engine and Sterndrive section. GA_Boater ?

There are two O rings inside the black plastic seal carrier (#29) that sets on top of the water pump outlet. One seals the pump housing outlet, the other seals the copper supply tube. The white tube (#31) sets inside the top of the seal carrier. It doesn't do much, except help you guide the copper supply tube into position at reassembly. The tube seals tight in the top O ring of the carrier.

I clean up the lower O ring and pump outlet and use 'Perfect Seal' (Permatex Aviation Gasket) to help hold the carrier in place, grease in the upper O ring and on the lower end of the copper tube. You can tack that white tube into place with a little AV Gasket.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the plastic "Guide Tube" is just that a guide tube for the copper tube . The actual connection is the rubber grommet in the pumps upper housing

I see now that the plastic tube is simply a guide tube. Top of the pump is 2½" above the top of the lower unit, and the copper tube is 1½" up from the bottom of the upper unit. The fit will be achieved upon assembly.

Thanks for clearing this up for me Bt Doctur.