Alpha one Gen one Sterndrive

Scottyboy blue

Recruit
Good afternoon- My son and l are trying diagnose an Alpha one Gen one Sterndrive problem.?
Boat - 1979 Carver Monterey 27ft - Mercruiser 228 (305) - Alpha one Gen one Drive

Problem: When the Boat is put into gear - either Fwd or Rev there is a violent bang that seems to be coming from the Transom. It is so loud ,that we can't heard if there is any loud clunking.
Maybe the problem lies in the Gears somewhere in the outdrive. Maybe the engine and Drive are not aligned properly. Are the two related.? The gear oil was drained and is clean.

Our plan is to, with boat being on land - check and adjust the lower shift cable -hook up water muffs -warm up the engine - stand behind Drive and shift gears and listen -
We are going to remove both the upper and lower units (impeller change- pressure tests) and with an Alignment tool, check the alignment.
If anyone has experienced this situation we appreciate you comments.
Have great day

kenny nunez

Captain
As AD said, the idle speed has to be 700 or under. If it is then it could be a loose propeller,[ sliding back and forth on the shaft]. Loose flywheel or coupler, rear engine mounts.
The rubber grommets on the ends of the hydraulic rams. Even not enough fluid in the hydraulic system.

Scottyboy blue

Recruit
As AD said, the idle speed has to be 700 or under. If it is then it could be a loose propeller,[ sliding back and forth on the shaft]. Loose flywheel or coupler, rear engine mounts.
The rubber grommets on the ends of the hydraulic rams. Even not enough fluid in the hydraulic system.
THANKS FOR THE REPLY _ MY KEYBOARD IS BROKEN
I DONT THINK IT IS THE PROP _ CHECKED IT DURING HAUL OUT
WILL HAVE TO CHECK THE DRIVE SHAFT _ GIMBAL BEARING _ ENGINE COUPLER AND ALIGNMENT
THE BOAT IS ON BLOCKS _ WILL GET ENGINE RUNNING _ WITH BOAT MUFFS ON AND ME AT THE BACK OF THE BOAT LISTEN TO THE CHANGING OF GEARS _SHOULD BE ABLE TO PIN POINT WHERE THIS VIOLENT BANG IS COMING FROM
MY STERNDRIVE IS THE ALPHA ONE GEN ONE _DOES NOT HAVE A HYDRAUIC RESERVIOR TANK

nola mike

Vice Admiral
THANKS FOR THE REPLY _ MY KEYBOARD IS BROKEN
I DONT THINK IT IS THE PROP _ CHECKED IT DURING HAUL OUT
WILL HAVE TO CHECK THE DRIVE SHAFT _ GIMBAL BEARING _ ENGINE COUPLER AND ALIGNMENT
THE BOAT IS ON BLOCKS _ WILL GET ENGINE RUNNING _ WITH BOAT MUFFS ON AND ME AT THE BACK OF THE BOAT LISTEN TO THE CHANGING OF GEARS _SHOULD BE ABLE TO PIN POINT WHERE THIS VIOLENT BANG IS COMING FROM
MY STERNDRIVE IS THE ALPHA ONE GEN ONE _DOES NOT HAVE A HYDRAUIC RESERVIOR TANK
Unless it isn't original, you don't have an alpha...