Alpha One Gen II Impeller Change and Filler Wall

sumodumy

Cadet
Hi All,

I recently changed the impeller on my 08 Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II for the first time. On reinstallation I was unsure how to position the plastic ?filler wall? that goes up into the gear housing. The filler wall is positioned just to the rear of the water pump in the gear housing and serves as a dam to hold water around the pump housing to prevent the pump from drawing air into the cooling system, making the water pump more efficient. The filler wall has two small cutouts on the lower two corners on one side. It appears designed to allow some water to flow through the wall. In the iboats link below, the filler wall (item # 4) appears to have the cutout corners facing toward the prop and away from the water pump, as it slides into the gear housing. Service Manual 14, page 3A-6 also shows it this way. However, I saw a YouTube video of an impeller change and the filler wall is positioned with the cutouts facing toward the transom and the water pump; the opposite of the drawings. Below is the link to the video. Does anyone know the correct way the filler wall goes into the gear housing? I followed the manual diagram during reinstallation.

http://www.iboats.com/Mercruiser-Al...ng-Components-Exploded-View/dm/view_id.272968

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXq35NOX8kw&feature=related

Thanks in advance for the help.

sumodumy

Cadet
Re: Alpha One Gen II Impeller Change and Filler Wall

I'm bumping this thread since the question hasn't been answered .....With all the folks who do their own water pump changes, I would have thought someone would be able to help.

JWebber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine looked like this, and I didn't remove it at all. Also that video has errors in it.:facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 6

sumodumy

Cadet

Thanks, but the filler wall slides into the upper half, not the lower half. Your picture doesn't show it. I think one of the reasons I'm not getting an answer is people don't have the filler wall or if they do, they are not making the mistake I made by pulling it out. I didn't realize one side was different until I pulled it out of the upper unit, so I wasn't sure how it should go back in.