Alpha One Gen 2 Service Question

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was doing my layup work on my drive, new impeller, lube change etc. When I was putting the drive back together I noticed that upper rubber sleeve on the shift shaft has a very small crack in it. I might be using the wrong terms, I am trying to describe the rubber part you can see on the lower unit just below where the shift shaft bends and the shaft enters the lower unit behind speedo connector (possibly part C in manual #14 page 3B-48). I only saw it because the light hit it just right. I am not sure if it even goes all the way through the sleeve or if the sleeve is even keeping water out. I finished putting the drive back together pressure tested it. My gauge only goes to 10 so I maxed it out, probably 11-12psi. It has been holding it for just about 40min as of typing this. During this time I have rotated prop and drive shafts, I also moved the shift rod up and down and rotated it. Still holding pressure. My question is do I attempt to change the bushing, I don't want to open a can of worms, or put lube back in and be ready to change it after next season. If it needs changing I have the service manual and assume it isn't that hard based on preliminary research. No special tools or anything I can see. If it needs changing I am guessing the drive will be ok with the lube drained for the 1-2 weeks waiting for parts.

As always, thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After doing some research I think it is just to help hold the shaft in place. It doesn't seem to be important to keeping water out of the drive. I found one person on this forum that actually had a piece of rubber tubing instead of the sleeve.