Alpha One Gen 1 Driveshaft Question

mtp9302

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, first time I've attempted to change an impeller in an Alpha one Gen 1 outdrive. The outdrive ran fine last year, I only took it apart because I didn't know the last time it was changed (we bought the boat last spring). I do have the Merc manual #6, and got as far as removing all the components down to and including the water pump base.

My question concerns the drive shaft; I noticed that it has what I thought was a lot of play. It seems to be able to rotate freely, but relative to the lower drive housing I can move it in space by ~ 3/64". The propeller shaft, by comparison, will not move at all and feels nice and tight. I've attempted to attach a picture showing the space between the shaft and mating blue part (is this a bearing?).

My first thought was that something must be wrong with either the shaft or its bearing, but then I was thinking about how it goes back together and wondering if it floated by design so as not to overconstrain the assembly. I did notice that with the water pump base and housing back on, I can no longer move it in space a measureble amount. Installation of the impeller probably makes it even tighter.

What do you think; is this an issue? I didn't want to ignore a problem if that's what the parts were telling me. I appreciate your help, thanks very much.

Attachments

• Driveshaft1.jpg
    Driveshaft1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Driveshaft2.jpg
    Driveshaft2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 0

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Alpha One Gen 1 Driveshaft Question

Once the shaft is keyed in with the upper she wont be able to move around. All is well. Of course you will be able to move it... its only attached at one end.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The vertical shaft is fine, and the play is normal. But you need a new water pump base.
That blue part seen is the photo is the bottom part of the old base.

mtp9302

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Stingray and Don for your quick help. I didn't realize that part of the water pump base was still there so I am really glad I asked and attached the pictures. It was also easy to see why the shaft was moving after I removed the rest of the base. Thanks again, you guys are the best.