Alpha One drive bellows inspection/replacement

ScottieinNC

Seaman
Hi Everyone,<br /> I want to wish everyone Happy Holidays, and a very Happy New Year for starters.<br />I have a 1997 Bayliner 2252 Ciera Express I/O with the 4.3LX engine. The outdrive is an Alpha One from 2003 (replaced by previous owner)<br />In doing some checks the other day so I can get my winter maintenance list in order, I ran across the bellows that runs in the center of the outdrive. I think it is the exhaust but not sure. I trailer store the boat with the drive tilted fully up and I got a good look at the bellows and seen in between the ribs or corrugations, there is small cracking and what looks like slight separations going on. Not much mind you, but enough I thought I better look into it. I had zero issues with water intrusion into the bilge this year.<br />To make it short I want to go ahead and replace the bellows and whatever else is inside so I can get worry free use out of it, and solve a potential problem before it starts. I use the boat in inland lakes, but have been offshore several mles before.<br /><br />Is this replacement something I can handle myself? With prior Iboats gurus helping before I have freed up the stuck manual steering in an outboard, pulled the L/U off the same outboard engine and replaced all the gears/seals/etc. <br />I would describe my mechanical aptitude as very good and have an extensive collection of tools.<br /><br />Will I need special tools to do this with?<br />Lastly, is there a preservative that can be applied to the new bellows to extend its life any? If the cracks are from ozone exposure, I would think covering the drive when on the trailer would make good sense.<br /><br />Looking for more expert advice from you all......Scott

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha One drive bellows inspection/replacement

From your discription, you are talking about the Ujoint bellows. Hopefully those cracks are just on the surface.<br />If water is in the bellows, it can (and will) destroy the ujoints and gimbal bearing. It will also allow water to get into the drive (BIG trouble) so it's time to do some checking.<br />Below is a link to the Mercruiser service manual for your drive (Alpha I Gen II).<br />About the only thing you can do is start reading the manual and decide if you have the ability (and tools) to do the job.<br />You will need an alignment bar, and possibly the exhaust bellows tool. Installing the metal ring for the ujoint bellows can be done with a piece of plywood cut out with a jig saw.<br />Read the book, then ask the questions on the things you don't understand completly.<br />Just move your cursor over the pages to find the different links.<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14cover.pdf

ScottieinNC

Seaman
Re: Alpha One drive bellows inspection/replacement

Hey Don,<br /> Excellent link you posted from BoatFix. I have been to their site before, but never expected to get manuals from there! Yes, it is the drive bellows, and there are very small stress cracks happening on the surface and I know the innards are fine. I run the engine every few weeks and move everything around, and no problems last time boat was out. I've found some instructions on the internet, and talked to a guy at my work who has some experience with thos so I'll be tackling it myself.<br /><br />Thanks again and Have a safe New Year!