Alpha 1 Water pump replacement parts list?

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice
1988 Alpha 1 outdrive
I have the outdrive off to replace the upper driveshaft oil seals, so I figured I'd go ahead and replace the water pump. I am planning on purchasing the kit found here http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=eBasicPower&Product_Code=BPI12120

and the upper unit seal kit.
Are there any other gaskets I will need to do the job?
What seals the upper and lower units together?
Where does the oil transfer between upper and lower?
Is it possible to replace the lower driveshaft seals below the water pump without removing the driveshaft?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Alpha 1 Water pump replacement parts list?

Are there any other gaskets I will need to do the job?
What seals the upper and lower units together?
Where does the oil transfer between upper and lower?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

That looks like everything for the pump, will need some (non hardening) gasket sealant, perfect seal or NAPA (permatex) aircraft. See that little ring on the right side, in the photo, that is it. Small passage on the starboard side.

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. Can the lower driveshaft oil seals be replaced without removing the driveshaft? Since I'm replacing seals I'd like to get as many done as possible

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Thanks. Can the lower driveshaft oil seals be replaced without removing the driveshaft? Since I'm replacing seals I'd like to get as many done as possible

That is FAR beyond me, but go up to the "adults only" section, #9 merc manuals, Download service manual #6 Alpha 1, section 3B tells you everything you will ever need to know (and more:D) about the gearhousing. Good luck.