Alpha 1 stern drive

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know there is a thread thats virtually the same as this one, but I have a separate question and didnt want to hijack his thread so here we go...
I replaced the motor and took the boat to have the gimbal bearing replaced and ensure my alignment was still good.
Now I am trying to install the stern drive and it will not go on. I can get it as far as the studs being about even with the back of the stern drive. About another inch and a quarter and I have it... I have greased the drive shaft, the new O rings, its in forward gear, I have looked underneath and made sure to line up the shift shoe and it lines up perfectly. I have turned the prop CC to make sure it lines up. I have cussed, spoken sweetly, sat in my folding chair staring at it, I even checked the manual.
My question is this, is there any chance the gimbal bearing they installed is the wrong bearing? My drive shaft is slightly tapered getting slightly larger the further it goes. Are there different gimbal bearings for different year alpha drives? I cant think of a single other thing it can be.
1989 mercruiser 4.3 alpha 1.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Alpha 1 stern drive

give it a mule kick it will go

Re: Alpha 1 stern drive

Have someone ever so gently turn the engine BY HAND (not key) while you are attempting to install the drive, and the splines in the coupler and yoke may slide right in. Either that or try turning the prop while it's in forward, CCW to turn the yoke at the top. The splines might be off just a little.

It would be a very good idea to get your own alignment tool if you plan on every doing your own maintenance. Here's an ebay search with some very reasonably priced ones:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R...iser+alignment+tool&_sacat=See-All-Categories