Alpha 1 shift problem

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been experiencing some problems with contaminated fuel, so today before I pulled it to the Cape, I decided to put it on a local lake to try it out and make sure all was well after pulling the carb apart and draining the fuel tank.It started up and ran great, but when I stopped to visit some friends, it wouldn't come out of forward gear.This was only after 1 run up the lake and 1 run back, about 1.5 miles total.. The shifter felt very stiff but I could move it in to neutral or reverse position, but it was still in forward gear. I decided to shut it off and mess with it a bit, but when I went to restart, it had no spark. I'm guessing that it's some control issue or possibly the upper shift cable. It figures that when I got it home after being towed in, I checked the spark and it was good. So I put the muffs on and it started right up. I also had all gears functional. Figures !!! Does anyone have an idea what I should look for ???? Thanks.<br /><br />bowhuntr :confused:

Trent

Captain
Re: Alpha 1 shift problem

Yep......Lower shift cable. Very common.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, that would probably be true if it didn't already have a new lower shift cable.I disconnected all the cables at the engine this morning and the binnacle mount control still felt stiff. I worked on it with some spray lube and it felt slightly better. I checked the lower shift cable when it was disconnected and it moved slowly and easily. I did find some spots on the upper shift cble that were bare and rusted on the outside, although it seems to work ok. I took it back to the lake and same problem. Once up the lake, once back and stuck in forward. Shut it off let it sit for 5 minutes with the doghouse open and I could get all gears again. Run it again, and stuck in gear again. Seems heat related to me.Gearcase lube is still full. I should mention that I didn't have this problem when I put it away last fall after putting on the remanufactured outdrive. Anyone ever heard of an upper shift cable causing this problem with these symptoms ??? I also checked the shift interuptor swith adjustment. I'm baffled at this point.<br /><br />bowhuntr :confused:

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

With everything disconnected the controls still felt stiff?The cable is all cracked and rusty?This system relys on freedom of movement everywhere and even a severe bend in the upper or lower cable can throw it off.Change the upper cable.It needs it anyway.