Alpha 1 oil seals

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I left the business world to teach because of my passionate curiosity. learning about this boat is fascinating but at same time I hate working on it during boating season...and the wife doesn't share my curosity any season.

well i think there's a couple of problems here. the water pump housing seal looks bad and may have leaked water...
IMG_0592-1-1.jpg
IMG_0589-1-1.jpg

the oil seal to passage looked ancient and prob leaked oil into drain cavity where i spotted teh oil coming out the weep hole.
IMG_0589-1-1.jpg

now the "Seloc manual" shows an o-ring on the drive shaft below the splines but my rig did not have one and there's no groove for one. is there supposed to be an o-ring here?
IMG_0587.jpg

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Alpha 1 oil seals

well i think there's a couple of problems here. the water pump housing seal looks bad and may have leaked water..
if ya get a new mercrusier impeller replacement kit. it'll come with that new seal along with a tool to install it proper.
the oil seal to passage looked ancient and prob leaked oil into drain cavity where i spotted teh oil coming out the weep hole
same kit will come with a new quad ring seal.
if ya think ya have a lub leak, it might be a good idea to pressure/vac. test the drive to see if ya can find the leak.
now the "Seloc manual" shows an o-ring on the drive shaft below the splines but my rig did not have one and there's no groove for one. is there supposed to be an o-ring here?
sounds like ya got a genII drive. so no oring. i have a mc-1 drive w/ the groove. i leave it off as it's not nessesary. proof of it not being necessary would be the lack of a place to install it on later (1-MR drive). no oring groove.
ditch the seloc manual and get a real mercruiser manual. it'll be money well spent...

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

same kit will come with a new quad ring seal
just pickup the oil seal kit. has pump gskts n seal, shft-shaft seal and lots of stuff but not a spline wrench.
is the quad ring the oil seal for the passage way?
IMG_0589-1-1.jpg

also what is the little yellow tube next to shift shaft? speedo? looks like its broken.

Where can i get a genuine, detailed manual? the Seloc drives me crazy.
IMG_0587.jpg
this hidden bolt is absent, not mentioned at all. Seloc is too generic...not all alphas have the oring as you mentioned.

cr2k

Captain

Yes the quad ring is for the oil passage.

The little yellow thing is the connection for the speedo. It sends water from the tiny pitot hole in the front of the drive to your water pressure speedo.

If it's broken no big just no speedo connection if you even have that type.

Also be sure to lube up the splines on the vert drive shaft. Be careful stabbing the lower as the back to back seals are not of the best design and can be dislodged causing a loss of oil in the upper.

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for that imput. the speedo quit working some time ago and i just watch the tach and gps at night. ur right-no biggie.

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

this is turning into a circus. the supplier sold me the wrong seal kit. now im wondering if the lower unit is an older model or gen2. the sn of upper house indicates a gen 2 but boat is a 1991. so really getting confused. here's pic of the shift shaft:
IMG_0619.jpg
IMG_0620.jpg
according to Seloc there's supposed tobe a metal seal for the shift shaft but as you can see there isn't one, unless im looking at the wrong part. please clarify.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

yep, it`s GEN II type. check your messages

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its sure nice to have two other boats. while one is down, two this week, had one to play on this weekend. :D now that i got the drive model resolved and correct parts ordered, how do u remove the carrier oil seal under the water pump. tried using two screwdrivers and prying but doesn't budge. im fearful of damaging the rim the pump sits on too. any suggestions?