Alpha 1 lower unit water pump replacement

UTgws

Cadet
In service manual 6 in the replacement of the pump the manual referes to perfect seal, special lub 101, and 2-4-C Marine Lub w/teflon, what would be the common names or other products that could be used in place of those listed in the manual?

UTgws

Cadet
Re: Alpha 1 lower unit water pump replacement

Ok folks, I am confused (the wife claims I always am).

Here are the numbers as displayed on my warranty registration card

20140U 06683865 06670846
87173 01/24/84 06674029

I know that the 06683865 is from the engine, and the 06674029 is on the ring on the outside of the transom (I think this is the outdive SN)

Here is what confuses me, the cap on top of the outdrive is smooth about 4x4 with the lift ring recessed. The area around the vent is smooth. All things to lead me to believe it is an alpha 1 however, the gear housing drive shaft has the pre-load pin and I have been told that makes it either an R or MR. arrrrrrrrr

Next, I am replacing the water pump and thought I had all under control, until I started to put the upper housing on and noticed that it has no seal for the shaft (between the insert and the housing) and I am not finding reference to it in several of the online exploded view/parts list, is there not a seal for the upper housing to shaft opening?

:confused:HELP!:confused:

ziggy

Admiral

i don't know the sub for perfect seal. but ya can get some here.... www.mercstuff.com. they got the 2-4-c too. perhaps yer local merc dealer too.
the special lub 101 i understand to be waterproof grease
I am not finding reference to it in several of the online exploded view/parts list, is there not a seal for the upper housing to shaft opening?
look on pp 3A-10. is item #14 what yer refering too. if so yer in luck i think. that one ya can do from the outside of the drive. i believe item #10 in this link...... http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...40,190,180,140,160,150,170,240,220,200,10,210

UTgws

Cadet

look on pp 3A-10. is item #14 what yer refering too. if so yer in luck i think. that one ya can do from the outside of the drive. i believe item #10 in this link......

No I am refering to the upper housing of the water pump, it looks to me like there is place for a seal between the top of the housing and the insert, but there is not one in the new upper water pump housing and not in the bags that all the gaskets are in.

ziggy

Admiral

ah,,,

in sm #2, the one i use for my 1 drive. it states that the oil seal was not used on the later drives. that'd be yours, a r or mr.... i don't have that oil seal in my 1 drive right now w/o consequences. do put the centrifugal slinger back though....