Alpha 1 Gen 2 trim cylinder bleeds down

Kman530

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
Strange thing happened over the winter while the boat was in storage. I lowered the outdrive as far down as I could for the winter and upon inspecting it to pull it out for spring commissioning I found it in the half-way position. The battery was removed so I know the pump didn’t activate on its own. I took the drive out this weekend and when removing the trim cylinders the left side (port) extended almost all the way by itself while the right side (starboard) remained in the original position. After finishing another project I installed the drive and had my friend activate the trim to try and line it up but the left side wouldn’t move from full extended and the right side would extend and retract like normal. When hooking up just the right and extending it all the way the cylinder would slowly bleed down letting the drive fall. I was finally able to get them both installed and I ran it a few times up and down without problems and it’s currently holding in the up position. Is this normal and/or what should I look into next? Thanks!

MichaelBC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,
Strange thing happened over the winter while the boat was in storage. I lowered the outdrive as far down as I could for the winter and upon inspecting it to pull it out for spring commissioning I found it in the half-way position. The battery was removed so I know the pump didn’t activate on its own. I

Did I understand correct that you put the drive completely down and when you came back it was half way up ?
This sounds very strange.

The oil hoses of the two cylinders are connected. So when they are not mounted to the drive and you push one in, the other one will come out.

Kman530

Seaman Apprentice
Did I understand correct that you put the drive completely down and when you came back it was half way up ?
This sounds very strange.

The oil hoses of the two cylinders are connected. So when they are not mounted to the drive and you push one in, the other one will come out.
Yes, that is correct. I put the drive about 3/4 way down for winter storage and this spring when I went to get the boat ready for summer, it had moved up to about the half-way position.. Really strange..
Second part of this strange question lol, is it normal for one cylinder to bleed down if the other isn’t connected to the drive? In other words, when I hooked up the right side cylinder to the drive and activated the trim to try and line up the left cylinder, the weight of the outdrive would slowly bleed down the right cylinder. It wouldn’t hold in the extended position with only the right cylinder installed. Thanks!

MichaelBC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As I wrote if only one cylinder is connected, the weight of the drive will push the one that is connected in and the not connected on comes out.