Alpha 1 Gen 2 Gear Housing/Water pump corrosion

tochinski

Cadet
Water compartment in gear housing under waterpump faceplate get corroded on my Alpha One Gen 2. Especially thin wall outside pump (red arrow).
gallery_631_303_4565.jpg

My gear housing looks like:
gallery_631_303_2577.jpg

gallery_631_303_63108.jpg

gallery_631_303_23577.jpg

gallery_631_303_28190.jpg

It is not perforated yet, but wall thickness on the top in some spots as thin as 1mm vs original 3.2 mm.
Also, it was already patched previously by someone with some kind of compound on front left corner.
I have rubber filler plug installed on other side of this wall. Probably older aluminum dam would be better since it will
work as sacrificial anode. Also, I had bad habit leaving drive up during summer storage, trapped water in there might worsen corrosion as well.
Leaving it as it is now will cause perforation and water pump failure in couple of years.

What would be the best way to repair it?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alpha 1 Gen 2 Gear Housing/Water pump corrosion

What would be the best way to repair it?

Ayuh,... If you can't rebuild it with epoxy, replace the housing...

cr2k

Captain

I would look close at the complete water pump assembly. Form those pictures I would think the base is allowing some water to spray around the circumference of the pump, possibly at the upper housing/wearplate junction.

tochinski

Cadet

It didn't look like water was spraying from under pump. Gearhousing was very clean inside. (Or it was cleaned with water sprays like in dishwasher?) But I didn't notice any leak signs when take apart waterpump.

I was thinking about adding JB Weld on the sides, but wasn't sure. You've helped me with making that decision, thanks. Also, I will replace water pump faceplate, it came with water pump kit anyway.

Impeller after 3 years looked like new and I never had cooling problems since I bought boat from first owner.