Alpha 1 Gen 1 Outdrive Upper

acloward

Cadet
I pulled the Outdrive on my A1G1 because I had gear oil leaking from out of a water drain hole. I have seen that, and knew it was the lower oil seal below the water pump.

While I had it off, I looked up into the upper, and noticed that the lower oil seal of I think the intermediate shaft, had a spring that was out of place, and looks bad.

I have never had to work in an upper. Do I have to pull it to get to that seal, or can I remove the seal from below?

I am trying to upload a photo, but I can't get the file small enough.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
On the Alpha 1 there are 2 seals, the upper one(inside the case) seals the oil . The lower one(that you see from underside) if a shaft seal to keep water out of the shaft area.. If your not leaking oil , pull the seal out from the bottom with screwdrivers and using a 1/2 inch drive socket mounted backwards on a extention , drive ithe new seal flush

kenny nunez

Captain
If you have not installed the new seal yet pack the cavity where the spring is to keep the spring from bouncing out when it is being driven in place.

87 criscraft

Cadet
I am looking for that same seal. I can not pick it out in a parts blow up. Would anyone know the part number?

acloward

Cadet
Great ideas on the packing.

I also picked up the seal, it is quicksilver # 26-96503 1. It took 35 min at the parts store, and I ended up going around the counter and running the computers. Should have gotten a discount.

acloward

Cadet
One key thing....have your Outdrive serial number....I did q bunch of homework online to make sure I knew what to look for. If not the serial number, a pile of cash and a lot of time when they sell you the wrong one and won't take back because it has been opened. That is a painful lesson from the past.