Alpha 1 bellows replacement checklist?

stormrider

Cadet
Hey guys,
I have a 1992 Mariah MX19 with a 4.3/Alpha 1 drive. My first outing last weekend revealed a leak into the bilge that turns out to be the shift cable bellows. From much reading and perusing the informative threads here, I think I can do this myself, rather that shell out the 1,200.00 that local boat service shops are asking. I just want to make sure I will have everything I need to do the job and will attempt a checklist. Please help me add to this or share any other input that you guys may know about:)
Parts needed:
Bellows kit (all 3 bellows w/ gaskets, water hose, gimble bearing, u-joints, shift cable, etc.)
Water pump impeller kit(want to do this while I have drive off)
Mercruiser Gorilla Snot for bellows

Special tools:
Engine alignment tool
shift cable socket
1/2" allen head socket for hinge pins
Exhaust bellows expander tool

Procedure:
Remove outdrive (6 bolts, place shifter in forward gear before removing)
Remove gimble housing (hinge pins)
replace bellows, shift cable, U-joints if needed (probably will)
adjust shift cable upon reassembly

What am I missing? I think I can do this, with years of mechanical experience plus what Mariah and I have been through in the past (engine replacement). Thanks in advance for your ideas and help!

stormrider

Cadet
Re: Alpha 1 bellows replacement checklist?

Thank you Don, I will download it and study:)

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Replace the upper shift shaft seals with the new style, see the manual.

zx9rstv

Seaman

shift cable socket

Shouldnt need this if you're not replacing the shift cable and sleeve. Put the shifter in full forward. then disconnect the shift cable at the engine bracket. Then take off the plastic sleeve by loosening the 2 square pins that hold the tip of the cable. Then unscrew the rest of the assembly from the end of the shift cable. When you take the gimbal housing off and are ready to replace the shift bellows just
pull the cable through the hull. I will warn that, depending on your engine compartment and how much room is behind the motor You may need a small pair of hands to reach back there and pull the cable back through the hull when you're done.
here's also a video I referenced about unhooking the shift cable from engine along with some easy dissasembly tips
http://youtu.be/wB8rMCQeZyk

I'll also add that When I was removing my gimbal housing. I started with the switches. Not wanting to break a ny of the bolts that were holding them on. They were ALL thread seized! I ended up just breaking the plastic on the sensors, then pulling the sensors off ( I was replacing them too because the wires were all corroded) leaving a nice biut of bolt remaining I was able to get some vice grips on the bolts and remove them. 2 of them still broke off inside the threads. I had to grind flush and drill and retap the holes. The hardest and most time consuming part is reassembly. Just be patient and don't rush. Took me a week to do both of my outdrives from start to finish. Mostly because of seized bolts and lack of proper tools. I was also doing the gimbal bearings then too. Something you might want to do while you're in there. How long has it been since they have been replaced?

zx9rstv

Seaman

Oh, and if you do replace the gimbal bearing. Don't use anything but an OEM bearing. I had the misfortune of using an aftermarket bearing for both sides and they didn't fit right. got everything back together. decided to ask about my concern on here, getting the answer I didn't want to hear , had to go buy oem gimbal bearings and redo the bearings all over again.

stormrider

Cadet

Shouldnt need this if you're not replacing the shift cable and sleeve. Put the shifter in full forward. then disconnect the shift cable at the engine bracket. Then take off the plastic sleeve by loosening the 2 square pins that hold the tip of the cable. Then unscrew the rest of the assembly from the end of the shift cable. When you take the gimbal housing off and are ready to replace the shift bellows just
pull the cable through the hull. I will warn that, depending on your engine compartment and how much room is behind the motor You may need a small pair of hands to reach back there and pull the cable back through the hull when you're done.
here's also a video I referenced about unhooking the shift cable from engine along with some easy dissasembly tips
http://youtu.be/wB8rMCQeZyk

I'll also add that When I was removing my gimbal housing. I started with the switches. Not wanting to break a ny of the bolts that were holding them on. They were ALL thread seized! I ended up just breaking the plastic on the sensors, then pulling the sensors off ( I was replacing them too because the wires were all corroded) leaving a nice biut of bolt remaining I was able to get some vice grips on the bolts and remove them. 2 of them still broke off inside the threads. I had to grind flush and drill and retap the holes. The hardest and most time consuming part is reassembly. Just be patient and don't rush. Took me a week to do both of my outdrives from start to finish. Mostly because of seized bolts and lack of proper tools. I was also doing the gimbal bearings then too. Something you might want to do while you're in there. How long has it been since they have been replaced?

Thanks for the input. I assume that I will be replacing the shift cable per the discussions on this forum.

I do plan on replacing the gimble bearing while I'm there. I bought this thing two years ago, had to replace the engine already but I haven't touched the drive. My guess is that it's suffered many years of neglect so I plan on fixing it right. Got too much money in this boat to quit now....lol

zx9rstv

Seaman

Thanks for the input. I assume that I will be replacing the shift cable per the discussions on this forum.

I hear ya. If the shift cable doesn't bind and moves freely. Shouldn't be any reason to replace it. I did my job on a 1990 SR 280 Sundancer. I'm pretty sure the shift cables were original. But still in very good shape and moved freely. I just shot some oil down the top of the cable from the engine bay and worked it in real good.