Allow for more boat protection?

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
acc+wm+scratch+tight.jpg

acb+scratch+broad.jpg

Here?s a scratch that begged the question? does the boat need more fenders or more rub rails?
So what do you think? Should boat designers spend more time thinking about how we use our boats so they could design better protection?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Allow for more boat protection?

poor hull and dock designed, allowed boat under the dock. improper docking and deploy of fenders. human error.

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

That hurts just looking at it. That is one of the reason I will not buy a new boat. I like mine pre scratched and dented.

tommays

Admiral

That hurts just looking at it. That is one of the reason I will not buy a new boat. I like mine pre scratched and dented.
:D

I am not sure when the next new boat is BUT i sure like NOT stressing about all Barnacle covered poles at low tide launches

Tommays

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Having spent 20 years as a design engineer you can’t engineer out ignorance or stupidity. You can do things to minimize the consequences but you can’t stop them.

Looks like they could use a lesson in how to tie up a boat as well.

45Auto

Commander

Dingbat is 100% correct! 22 years as a design engineer here. Seems that no matter how foolproof you make something, somebody always manages to prove that they are a bigger fool than you can imagine! And I can imagine some pretty stupid things........

Boat designers DO think about how you will use your boat. Some are designed to be utilitarian, some are designed to look neat. It's called the "free market". That's not a workboat there. It was designed to look fast and impress the girls! Whoever owns that boat chose that racy, swanky look over other available models with more protection (fender mounts, bigger rub rails, etc). They made the trade-off. If they are too stupid to secure it properly or operate it competently it's not the fault of the design. Some people want that sleek look and are willing to make the compensations required (more careful handling, more upkeep, etc) by it. Maybe the users should spend more time thinking about how they will actually use the boat versus how it looks to their neighbors. Don't expect to make the trade-off for looks without giving up some of the protection. Everybody has to make their own decision. Don't whine when you make the wrong one, then try to penalize everyone else to protect you from your stupidity. Plenty of other options out there. They don't look as "cool" though.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I agree with not being able to engineer a product such that someone can't screw it up or be screwed up using it. Although not exactly boat related, I once read an article in which a person lost his fingers as he tried to pick up a rotary lawn mower so he could use it to trim his hedge. He admitted he never saw the underside of a mower and had no idea what was under there. After losing his fingers he probably figured that was not a good idea. I personally headed into a Sears store during one of our Minnesota blizzards, as a gent of foreign extraction was leaving with a brand new rotary mower. Quizzing him about being a little late to cut the grass, he was stupified to learn he didn't actually by a snowblower. Or the guy in front of me checking out of Home Depot with a new LawnBoy (two stroke) mower and proudly pops a quart of conventional four-stroke engine oil on top of the box. I asked if the oil was for the new mower and he proudly said "yup". I pointed to the "Two Stroke" on the box but that meant nothing to him. I had to explain the oil goes in the gas and that he might find it tough to find a crankcase on the engine in which to place "four stroke oil".

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Me too. Just too many variables out there to design for all of them. Specific use vessels under specific circumstances yes, no doubt they can design what you want.

But for the general boating public, forget it.......and I no longer have a beautiful Ranger Bass Boat for that very reason. I have a somewhat dingy alum BB which I can enjoy without worrying about scratching a beautiful gel coat such as is on your boat.

Also it depends on where I fish as to what sort of protection I would need. Some places I need none, others there never is enough....can't drag the extra protection around with you all the time.

Mark

tommays

Admiral

I think it is a GOOD LOOKING boat

It is like calling a sports car BAD because it does not go over speed bumps as good as a jeep :rolleyes:

My J-24 never had any kind of rubrail and it never took any damage through more than one hurricane
47b7d700b3127ccebc781186591a00000036100AaOWLZq3ct2IA

Other than a brainless travel lift driver and sandy straps :mad:

Tommays

j_martin

Admiral

It's hard to idiot proof anything.

Idiots are too ingenious.

QC

Supreme Mariner

This is why I always recommend a used boat to new boaters . . . I have two friends that both bought brand spanking new boats first time. Both have had significant gel coat repairs . . .

I keep my boat spotless, which is a problem frankly. I am on the kids more than I'd like and it is their vacation/trip too . . . On the other hand, most of this stuff is pretty simple if you spend anytime at all thinking it through. Dock higher than boat? Yup, hmmmmm, then I need fenders suspended from the dock . . . Sand on bottom of shoes? Yup. Better clean them off or at least don't walk on the deck!!!!! OK, never mind, I am making my own point. I am an anal idiot, sorry to all that have been on my boat, but then again, "why the flyin' flip would you walk on my deck with sand on your feet! Would you do that on your car hood?" Oh, somebody please shoot me!!!!