allergies

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer
Spring time with everything budding. Anyone with allergies will know what I'm going through. Got any good remedies?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: allergies

Soon as the pollen starts hitting me, I head off to work. Because I work offshore, no pollen. :D <br /><br />You have my sympathy, I know what it's like, not nice. :( <br /><br />Chris.........

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I know what you're going through. One of the drawbacks of living in the fruit bowl of California is all the pollen. I drink alot of hot tea(green for me). It helps keep the throat free from all the crud that can cause problems. As far as the nose I use an over the counter antihistamine,Loratidine. With the mild winter we had this is an expecially bad year here. Seems everyone is sick. Keep on keeping on though.<br />Bassy

HotLava

Seaman

Yeah, I grew up with major bad allergies. Lived with Allerest almost daily. Thank GOD I grew out of them. I have none now, but my wife suffers really bad with them. Seems like the early rainy season in CT is worse each year for her.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Bassy:<br /> I drink alot of hot tea(green for me). It helps keep the throat free from all the crud that can cause problems.
I understand a lot of green tea will clean out more than your throat.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Once the allergy season rears it's ugly head, I use Nasacort. It's success is dependent upon regular use whether you have symptoms at the moment or not. It's been very successful for me. Without it I would have to take up to 6 actifed a day and that would really leave me feeling rung out.

NYMINUTE

Captain

No, been there still there, just take allerest. It is some relief.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

An allergist should be able to zero in on specifics & run through the different meds to find what works best.<br />The testing is not much fun.<br />My daughter uses flonase & zertec when it gets bad. Luckily she seems to be growing out of it.

rwise

Captain

at the time I am useing alegra 180 and nasacort, at least the itching eyes etc are gone!

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the help, you gave me some new ideas. A local bee keeper said to try his honey . The idea is its made from local clover. I'll try it in the green tea and see.

ZmOz

Captain

I just started having alergies last year. Never been alergic to anything before...now when the pollen is out I'm constantly sneezing and blowing my nose. :rolleyes:

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have mine all year.Mold and it is every where. I get dizzy with mine and have to take meds. The only thing that helps is allergy shots once a week if I miss a week then I get off balance because of the fluid behind the ear drum plus I have damaged my left balance nerve due to the fluid If I dont get my shot I can tell and right now I'm going on 2nd week with out my shot and I can tell. do you get off balance with yours? kind of like on a dock or a boat in waves, but your on the land.<br />Serenity

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> I just started having alergies last year. Never been alergic to anything before...now when the pollen is out I'm constantly sneezing and blowing my nose. :rolleyes:
Me thinks you have probably become allergic to the dust bunnies in your computers. :p

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> I just started having alergies last year. Never been alergic to anything before...now when the pollen is out I'm constantly sneezing and blowing my nose. :rolleyes:
Me thinks you have probably become allergic to the dust bunnies in your computers. :p
Probably has more to do with the fact that I rarely wear a mask when working with metal... :p

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Allergies? Find something you don't like(liver, peanut butter etc) and eat it. If it makes you sicker than the allergies then you have gotten rid of your allergies.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br />
Originally posted by Bassy:<br /> I drink alot of hot tea(green for me). It helps keep the throat free from all the crud that can cause problems.
I understand a lot of green tea will clean out more than your throat.
Alot for me is two cups a day; one in the morning and one around noon. But my cup is a mug,so maybe that's considered 4 cups. Who knows? Anyway, no problems with that amount for me.<br />Bassy

rwise

Captain

all thumbs<br />I have heard of useing bee bread, the pollen that is gathered and stored to help allergies. Ask the guy with the honey if he has any for sale, it must be from near you to work.<br /><br />Serenity<br />I know what you mean, I have been dizzy for about two weeks now, getting better but man it could be faster.<br /><br /><br />I also drink hot things, tea etc. and eat hot and spicy foods, seams to help for a while.