Allen plug ? Top of exhaust riser

Sooner44

Seaman
Hello all,<br /><br />While winterizing my Volvo Penta 3.0 SX drive,<br />I pulled a 3/8 allen plug on top of the exhust riser "90" and poured a little antifreeze down it.<br />After I did that I wondered if the port was on the water side or engine exhaust side ???<br />Did I just pour antifreeze into the engine exhaust ? or am I ok ????? If I did pour it into the exhaust (about a pint) what do I do now ?<br /><br />Please help<br /><br />Sooner

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Allen plug ? Top of exhaust riser

What Year?<br />I don't recall a plug on top of the riser, of course I can't recall all years or even look at a manual. Do you have a picture of it you could post?<br /><br />You could also pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over and see what happens.

Sooner44

Seaman

I'll try to get pic. It's a 2004 Glastron. There is a allen plug right on top of riser.

Don S

I would guess you are seeing Item #15.<br />Sorry, but I can't say which side it goes to for sure. Looks like it's for a exhaust water sensor of some sort for use in the future, because it's not used now. <br />I would sure check it out for sure before letting it set for any length of time. All it would take is a new gasket between the manifold and riser to be sure.<br /><br />
3.0GL-PD%20exhaust.png

Don S

We sure out of time with our pictures, I'll wait for a while.

Sooner44

Seaman

Is there a website that has a breakdown ??

Sooner44

Seaman

Well.<br />I thought I had a good idea. To see if the port was on the water side of the system, I thought I would blow air in the lower manifold drain plug and see if I could feel air comming out the port.<br /><br />When I placed the air hose on the manifold drain and pressed trigger, I heard a "pop" and all the sudden black dirty water started coming out the manifold drain AND the engine block drain ?<br /><br />Did I blow an internal gasket inside the manifold ?? or did I break a rust seal that had formed over the drain hole ? I have never seen inside a manifold, so any help would be appreciated. I hope blowing air inside the manifold didnt hurt anything,<br /><br />Thanks

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would suspect it is a water jacket side for a temp sensor. I have a SBC Vovlo and it has hex plugs in the top of risers and they are water side. I bet the pop was a rust or sealer covering the hole. You had other openings to the water side? How much pressure did you apply?

Sooner44

Seaman

I had about 100 psi on the hose, but it sounded like it was blowing freely out the exhaust/ water to the lower end. I also had the block drain open

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the temp sensor plug is the hump/hole aft of the allen plug. that plug in the v8 risers at the top goes directly into the exhaust chamber. never looked at the late style 3.0.<br /> but thats why I dont remove hoses and such, just drain the block and run 5 gallons of non-toxic AF through it with either the flush muff or in the case of a volvo just use a hose from the seawater pump intake nipple to the bucket and fire it up. its done then, all done and no water pockets or clamps or things to break. that pop and then dirty water was just the junk blowing out of the drain holes. many an engine has froze becuse of it. it will seal off the drain and not allow the raw water to drain unless its rodded out.

Sooner44

Seaman

Yes, Looking from front of engine, the temp sensor is on the right, the hole is on top.<br />Rod, do you think I have done any damage using the air, other than maybe getting AF into the exhaust by pouring down the wrong hole ??

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Why don't you just be on the safe side, and pull the plugs, crank it over a dozen times (looking for liquid coming out the plug holes), install the plugs, run it to temp, change the oil, and start over again? Oil and time cheap. Engine?

Timrp

Cadet

I just finished "winterizing" my 3.0LX. I live in Sudbury,ON (-40deg).<br />-I changed engine oil/filter.<br />-I changed the outdrive oil(I only put 12 hours on it last summer, was this nessessary?) The lube in the reservoir looked like the stuff in the bottle.<br />-Fogged the engine, then poured some in the cylinders, removed the coil wire, cranked the engine a couple of times.<br />-Removed hoses, opened petcocks, poured in anti-freeze (AF) till it came out of petcocks, left all drainage open, including hull.<br />-Removed battery, silicone spray-lubed the outside of the engine.<br />Question 1) Does pouring in AF till it comes out fill all voids re:freezing?<br />Question 2) Should you change the oil in the trim reservoir?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Timp.......you need to start a new topic with your questions

Sooner44

Seaman

pulled plugs today, cranked engine over several times, no AF, cylinders look clean. Pulled dip stick - no signs of AF in oil. Also dropped by the boat shop today and talked to the "man", asked if pouring AF in the allen hole was ok. He said yes, no prob,<br />also said that blowing air into the manifold could not hurt anything since the manifold is open all the way to the outdrive. So, guess I'm ok<br /><br />Thanks