All Washed Up

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
I was wondering what the weirdest thing is you ever found floating or washed-up on shore.<br /><br />Three years ago I was working at a marina on a somewhat murky river. One day I see a carcass floating in the water. :eek: Just the torso and nothing left but bones and muscle tissue. Looked about human size and just a few days earlier we found a wallet of a lady whose driver's license expired a few years earlier. So being the super-sleuths we were, we put two and two together and figured this was her. We called the coroner and he came by. He grabbed it with a boat hook and pulled it up on the dock. Man did it smell! I doubt even the catfish were chewing on it anymore. Anyhow, it was quickly apparent by the pelvis that it was just a deer and the coroner shoved it back in. I apologized for the false alarm. Coroner says "Beats the hell out of the alternative." I never went in the water by the marina again. Dang dock probably still stinks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: All Washed Up

hello<br /> up in corrala in the spring of 97 we were doing some frap netting in a creek and found the body of a man that had drowned the winter of late 96.<br /> my uncle jim had told the cops the area to find the body 3 months earlier but they all said further south. there had been a hunting stupid in december. 2 kids and 3 adults and a dog drowned. one survivor. all in a leaky 14 ft boat with a junker outboard in the currituck sound with 25-35 MPH nortwest winds. so I cant call it an accident.anyway the water had been cool and he still had his waders on but as soon as we saw it I hollered at Hope and roy, hope is a retired bosun,USCG and his brother Royce is a retired USCG chaplain, and told them there was something up the creek that was thier dept :) :) .<br /> rodbolt dont do bodies :) :) .<br /> they flagged the spot and called currituck sherriff and said hey boys gotta prize for ya :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm. Those make my finds seem sort of like child's play, but I'll tell them anyway because they are the "wierdest" things I ever found afloat.<br /><br />When I was a barefoot boy fishing a local pond with willow pole and worms I kept seeing something splashing around on the surface. Over time it drifted closer and closer to a shallow bar. When it got there I waded out and retrieved a 3lb pickerel with an 8" bluegill stuck in its mouth. Both fish were alive and trying to swim, but neither could move the other.<br /><br />Many years later, while trolling in the Gulf Stream off Ft. Lauderdale I came upon what was locally called a "square grouper" (bale of dope wrapped in plastic) floating merrily along. Called the USCG on the CB. They came and picked it up. I was scared to death they were gonna think I had something to do with it being there, but they just said thanks and moved on.

NYMINUTE

Captain

$20.00 Bill, at Grand Haven, Mi. beach. Looked for a string before I took it, found none. Just laying in the sand drenched. Not unusual, but for me ..... I usually am the one who loses it. :cool:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahaha<br /> poor JB.<br /> man I would not know whether to act like I did not see it or call it in due to todays climate :) :)

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

I found the carcass of a 12 point buck in an eddy behind some boulders on the Loyalsock Creek while trout fishing once. It scared the c**p out of me because I had to crawl over the top of the boulder to my spot and there it was face forward about 2' from my face when I came over the top. Yikes!<br /><br />Another time, I found something that was just so odd looking. I was drifting in my canoe on the Juniata River and came across one of those metal-framed rocking horses that was upright on the riverbed. It was perfectly situated in the current so it sat there rocking as if a kid were playing on it. I have a picture of it somewhere that I can scan and post if anyone's interested.

KaGee

Admiral

JB... what did ya do with the pickerell???

f_inscreenname

Commander

from JB "When I was a barefoot boy fishing a local pond with willow pole and worms" If I saw that I would have something to add to this thread. :p :D

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I saw a dead cow float by my campsite on the Gunnison River in CO. during late snowmelt season. Anything that fell in that river would have been dead within seconds.<br /><br />In the Spring I like to pole around the East and Southeast bay shores here on L. WI to see what's been lost on the lake. Got plenty of tackle and frisbees and minnow buckets!