All things Duratech

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Duratech owners. I met Roy Moss (founder of Duratech) back in 2006, and communicated a lot with him prior to his passing in 2009. I'm also friends with his son, Michael. I've received tons of Duratech related info (specs, etc), so if you need something (such as...what did my boat originally look like...what's the maximum HP allowed...what is my boat worth...etc)...post it right here in the Duratech section. I'm not the only one who knows Duratech...but I have as much information as can be found...and I'm happy to provide it here.

Thanks iBoats, for allowing us to have the Duratech section here on your excellent site.

Joe

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
jbcurt00 ...THANKS for your note, and for allowing me to post a link here.

Duratech owners...THIS is our forum...right here on iBoats...however...if you're looking for historical Duratech information...you're invited to check out the home of Duratech Boats. If you don't find your information there, feel free to hit the "contact us" page, and I'll email you back with specs or other needed information. You're also welcome to shoot me a private message right here on the forum, or post a new topic and ask away. Regards to my fellow Duratech owners.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thanks Joe

Please try to keep conversations and discussions about Duratech boats in the open forum, rather then via PMs or emails.

Otherwise, lets talk about vintage tin boats. :cool:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
jbcurt00 ...THANKS for your note, and for allowing me to post a link here.

Duratech owners...THIS is our forum...right here on iBoats...however...if you're looking for historical Duratech information...you're invited to check out the home of Duratech Boats. If you don't find your information there, feel free to hit the "contact us" page, and I'll email you back with specs or other needed information. You're also welcome to shoot me a private message right here on the forum, or post a new topic and ask away. Regards to my fellow Duratech owners.

To add to what JB said - Using PM's or email to transfer Duratech information makes OUR forum useless by acting as only a conduit to you and your site. Starting new topics and receiving information openly is the only way a forum survives, otherwise the forum will wither and die.

I hope there is no misunderstanding.

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks GA...I am fine with that, and I apologize...the misunderstanding was on my part. Mine was an attempt to avoid clogging up this forum with granular topics and requests such as "my serial number is 12345...can you tell me what year it was made...what is the max hp for my boat"...those kinds of things, which would not apply to anyone else. Thanks for the direction; we'll keep the information flow on all levels right here in the forum.

GA_Boater

Our forum is filled with what year, max HP, etc. type questions. Not just Duratechs, but for all types of boats, motors and trailers. Add tow vehicles and the forum is quite lively. Our members are one heck of an information source and your Duratech stash can only help add to the knowledge base.

A very high membership percentage comes from turning Google search results into joining and adding value to the forum and helping others. That success comes from having good, open records available to Google and other search engines.

Thanks as long as you don't mind answering some of what might be "oddball" queries.

fishrdan

Admiral
Interesting tid-bit from the Duratech website.

An interesting contract Roy secured along the way was an order for 18-foot aluminum crafts that he'd been told were for recreational use for offshore oil rig employees. He later saw some of his boats pictured landing on the beach - on the cover of the New York Times. He quickly discovered that this customer was the CIA, and they were used as landing craft in the Bay of Pigs Invasion in the 1960's.

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Interesting tid-bit from the Duratech website.

An interesting contract Roy secured along the way was an order for 18-foot aluminum crafts that he'd been told were for recreational use for offshore oil rig employees. He later saw some of his boats pictured landing on the beach - on the cover of the New York Times. He quickly discovered that this customer was the CIA, and they were used as landing craft in the Bay of Pigs Invasion in the 1960's.
Indeed. Roy shared that with me on a phone call. I can't recall whether it was he or his son who furnished me with the images. It was then determined that they purchased fully loaded Duratech Sealine runabouts, then stripped them down for their own needs and marked them. Here is one of them:

img122134582afaa99efa.jpg

Brian Travers

Recruit
I purchased a durateck boat, model#S148, serial#21774. I am trying to find out the year. Can someone please help.

Escape Hatch

Recruit
Hi JoeMan - I have a 1961 Saturn 16 footer and want to restore it back to original (as possible) specs/looks i.e. seats, motor, gas tank, accessories, etc. Can you post any pictures/brochures/advertising/specs that would show what it looked like back in the day that I could follow? My SN is 40959. Can you explain what each number represents? Also, do you know of anyone who sells things like replacement bow light red and green lenses and the white lens and bulb socket for the stern mast light? Much appreciated.

GA_Boater

I fear JoeMan has disappeared. You may be waiting a while for your answers.