All my Ohio River buddies

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
082300- Flood Statement National Weather Service Charleston WV 1130 AM EST Sat Jan 8 2005 <br /><br />The National Weather Service Has Continued The River Flood Warning For The Hocking River At Athens... And The Ohio River At Willow Island Lock... Marietta 2sw... Parkersburg... Belleville Lock... Racine Lock... Pomeroy... Point Pleasant... Huntington... Ashland... And Greenup Lock. <br /><br />Across The Lower Portion Of The Ohio River... The Crest Through R.C.Byrd Lock And Gallipolis... May Still Reach Around Flood Stage On Sunday... Causing Minor Flooding Of The Usual Low Spots... Along With Some Backwater Flooding. <br /><br />At 11 AM This Morning... The Crest On The Ohio River Was Between Parkersburg And Belleville Lock. <br /><br />* Willow Island Lock... <br /><br />At 11 AM... The Ohio River Stage At Willow Island Lock Was 42.3 Feet. The Trend Is Falling. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Willow Island Lock Is 37 Feet. <br /><br />The River Crested At 42.9 At 10 PM Friday And Is Falling At Willow Island. The Level Should Recede Later Today... Falling Below Flood Stage On Sunday. <br /><br />At Stages Near 42.3 Feet... Water Is Flooding Sections Of Ohio Route 7 In The Reno Area. Backwater Problems Along The River Will Be Noted As Well. Conditions Will Continue To Improve As The River Recedes. <br /><br />* Marietta 2sw... <br /><br />At 11am... The Ohio River Stage Near Marietta 2sw Was 40.9 Feet. The Trend Is Falling. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Marietta 2sw Is 34 Feet. <br /><br />The River Crested At 41 Feet At 5 AM And Is Slowly Falling Later This Morning. The Ohio River At Marietta Should Then Recede Over The Weekend... Falling Below Flood Stage On Late Sunday. <br /><br />At Stages Around 40.9 Feet... Front Street. 2nd Street Between Butler And Putnam. 2nd Street Between Putnam And Scammel Streets. Colegate Street At Muskingum Street. Elks Lodge On Front Street. On The West Side, Franklin At Maple Street. Maple At Crawford Street. Gilman Street At The Railroad Crossing. Harmar At Market And At Clinton Streets Are Flooded. <br /><br />Conditions Will Continue To Improve As The River Recedes. <br /><br />* Parkersburg... <br /><br />At 11am... The Ohio River Stage At Parkersburg Was 42.4 Feet. The Trend Is Nearly Steady. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Parkersburg Is 36 Feet. <br /><br />The River Is In Crest And Will Remain Nearly Steady... Before Slowing Falling This Afternoon. The River Should Then Recede... Falling Below Flood Stage Late Sunday. <br /><br />At Stages Near 42.4 Feet... Areas Outside Of The Flood Wall Near The River Are Flooded. Backwater Flooding Will Occur Up The Lower Reaches Of Little Kanawha River. Areas In Belpre Ohio Near The River Are Flooded. <br /><br />For Comparison... The Crest Was 43.7 Feet At Parkersburg Back In September Of 2004. <br /><br /><br />* Belleville Lock... <br /><br />At 11 AM Saturday... The Stage At Belleville Lock Was 44.5 Feet. The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Minor Flooding Is Forecasted. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Belleville Lock Is 45 Feet. <br /><br />The River Will Rise To Around The 45 Foot Flood This Afternoon... Then Fall Below Flood Stage Saturday Evening. <br /><br />At Stages Around 45 Feet... Water Starts To Flood Portions Of Belleville West Virginia And Reedsville Ohio. Numerous Secondary Roads Are Blocked Due To Backwater And Flood Waters. <br /><br /><br />* Racine Lock... <br /><br />At 11 AM... The Ohio River Stage At Racine Lock Was 48.2 Feet. The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Moderate To Major Flooding Is Forecasted. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Racine Lock Is 38 Feet. <br /><br />The River Is Above Flood Stage And Will Continue Rising To Near 49 Feet Saturday Night... Then Falling To Below Flood Stage Monday Evening. <br /><br />At Stages Near 49 Feet... Ohio Route 124 Near Minersville Is Flooded And West Virginia Routes 33 And 62 Near The Lock Is Flooded. <br /><br />* Pomeroy... <br /><br />At Midnight... The Stage At Pomeroy Was 49.5 Feet. The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Moderate Flooding Is Forecasted. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Pomeroy Is 46 Feet. <br /><br />The River Is Above Flood Stage And Will Continue To Rise To A Crest Near 50 Feet Late Saturday Night. The Ohio River At Pomeroy Will The Recede On Sunday... Falling Below Flood Stage Monday Evening. <br /><br />At Stages Near 50 Feet... Parking Lots And The River At The Amphitheater Are Flooded Along River. Some Secondary Roads Are Flooded Due To Backwater. Businesses Along River Are Flooded. <br /><br /><br />* Point Pleasant... <br /><br />At 10 AM Saturday... The Ohio River Stage At Point Pleasant Was 44.3 Feet And The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Moderate Flooding Is Forecasted. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Point Pleasant Is 40 Feet. <br /><br />The Ohio River At Point Pleasant Is Above Flood Stage And Will Continue To Rise Slowly... Cresting Sunday Morning Near 46 Feet. The River At Point Pleasant Should... Then Fall Below Flood Stage Late Monday Night. <br /><br />At Stages Near 46 Feet... Areas Along The River In Ohio Opposite Point Pleasant Are Flooded. Areas Outside The Flood Wall Near The River Are Flooded. <br /><br /><br />* Huntington... <br /><br />At 11 AM Saturday The Stage At Huntington Was 48.8 Feet. Minor Flooding Is Forecasted And The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Huntington Is 50 Feet. <br /><br />The River Will Rise Above Flood Stage This Evening And Continue To Rise Near 51.5 Feet Tomorrow Evening. Then Falling Below Flood Stage Tuesday Morning. <br /><br />At Stages Near 51.5 Feet... Route 60 West Near Catlettsburg Kentucky And Near The West Gate Flood Wall Is Flooded. Areas Along The River Around Chesapeake And Proctorville Ohio Will Begin To Flood. Areas Outside The Flood Wall In Huntington Will Begin To Flood. <br /><br /><br />* Ashland... <br /><br />At 11 AM Saturday The Stage At Ashland Was 52.2 Feet. The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Minor Flooding Is Forecasted. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Ashland Is 52 Feet. <br /><br />The River Is Above Flood Stage At Noon And Continue To Rise To A Crest Near 54 Feet Sunday Morning. The River Will Then Fall Below Flood Stage Monday. <br /><br />At Stages Near 54 Feet... Kentucky Route 3 Is Closed At Catlettsburg. There Will Be Minor Flooding Of Other Roadways In Low Lying Areas Due To Backwater. <br /><br /><br />* Greenup Lock... <br /><br />At 11 AM Saturday The Stage At Greenup Lock Was 52.6 Feet. Minor Flooding Is Forecasted And The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Greenup Lock Is 54 Feet. <br /><br />The River Will Rise Above Flood Stage Tonight And Continue To Rise Near 56 Feet Tomorrow Evening. Then Falling Below Flood Stage Monday Evening. <br /><br />At Stages Near 56 Feet... This Will Cause Minor Flooding Of Mainly Low Lying Areas. <br /><br /><br />* R.C.Byrd Lock... <br /><br />At 11 AM Saturday The Stage At Ashland Was 48.1 Feet. The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Flood Stage At R.C.Byrd Lock Is 50 Feet. <br /><br />The River Will Crest Right At Or Just Below The 50 Foot Flood Stage Late Tonight And Early Sunday Morning. <br /><br /><br />* Athens... <br /><br />At 11 AM Saturday... The Stage On The Hocking River At Athens Was 21 Feet. The Trend Is Falling. The River Will Fall Below Flood Stage Later This Afternoon. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Athens Is 20 Feet. <br /><br />* Grayson... At 11 AM Saturday... The Stage On The Little Sandy River Was 18.7 And The Trend Was Rising. <br /><br />The River Is Expected To Rise To Just Below Flood Stage This Afternoon. <br /><br /><br />The Next Updated Statement Can Be Expected Around 6 PM Saturday.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: All my Ohio River buddies

I knew that there would be alot of water headed that way. The whole mid section of the state had lots of ice while others had 15" to 24" of snow, and then last wednesday all the rain and ice. The north central are has got hit hard. A pencil size twig with the ice measures about one and half inch across. Its still frozen now, but next week with the warmer weather, the ice is going to melt with the rain that is forcasted. So expect the river to rise again. At this time 12,000 people are still out of power. Crews from Penn, Mich, New York, Indiana, Kentucky, and Virgina have come in to get power restored. This AM, there were 20,000 without power. All stores are sold out of generators. Every truck that pulls in is mobbed.<br /><br />I've been out all day taking down a tree for an elderly couple. It was on their house. They had 4 quotes ranging from 500 to 800 to remove the tree. My SIL and I took it down for 150. They were pleased. Just to remove the hanging limbs is 10 for a limb, 5 if your a senior. Other cutters are PO'd at me. I'm not out to get rich, just to help others that can't afford the outragious prices these guys are charging.<br /><br />Yep SBN, my old home is flooded in. It is in the Pomeroy area. I feel bad for those in Marietta. Lots of the people just got their business and homes repaired from September. Then there is Outboard Jim up in Rayland getting washed out too. They get the crap that dumps on us. :( <br /><br />Ohio weather, If you don't like it, wait a couple of days and it will change. It never stays the same!

KaGee

Admiral

Our prayers for everyone's safety... life and property.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well....another flood in the record book. We faired a little better this go-round. Not as many slides along the highways and the folks seemed a little better prepared than last time. Only thing that didn't change was all the dead tired firefighters straggling home. Let's hope Mother Nature is done for a while. Hope all you folks south of me are doing good.

SpinnerBait_Nut

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED A FLOOD STATEMENT UNTIL 7:00AM EST<br />Issue Time: 10:18PM EST, Saturday Jan 8, 2005<br />Valid Until: 7:00AM EST, Sunday Jan 9, 2005<br />Back to summary<br /><br />1200- Flood Statement National Weather Service Charleston WV 1015 PM EST Sat Jan 8 2005 <br /><br />The National Weather Service Has Continued The River Flood Warning For The Ohio River At Willow Island Lock... Marietta 2sw... Parkersburg... Racine Lock... Pomeroy... Point Pleasant... Huntington... Ashland... And Greenup Lock. <br /><br />At 10 PM... The Crest On The Ohio River Was Between Racine Lock And Pomeroy. <br /><br />* Willow Island Lock... <br /><br />At 10 PM... The Ohio River Stage At Willow Island Lock Was 40.8 Feet. The Trend Is Falling. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Willow Island Lock Is 37 Feet. <br /><br />The Level Is Forecast To Fall Below Flood Stage On Sunday. <br /><br />Backwater Problems Along The River Will Continue To Be Noted... But Conditions Will Improve As The River Recedes. <br /><br />* Marietta 2sw... <br /><br />At 10 PM... The Ohio River Stage Near Marietta 2sw Was 39.8 Feet. The Trend Is Falling. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Marietta 2sw Is 34 Feet. <br /><br />The Ohio River At Marietta Should Recede Below Flood Stage Late Sunday. <br /><br />Conditions Will Continue To Improve As The River Recedes. <br /><br />* Parkersburg... <br /><br />At 10 PM... The Ohio River Stage At Parkersburg Was 41.7 Feet. The Trend Is Falling. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Parkersburg Is 36 Feet. <br /><br />The River Will Fall Below Flood Stage Late Sunday. <br /><br />* Belleville Lock... <br /><br />At 10 PM Saturday... The Stage At Belleville Lock Was 44.3 Feet. The Trend Is Falling. Flood Stage Is 45 Feet. <br /><br />This Will Be The Last Statement For Belleville Lock. <br /><br />* Racine Lock... <br /><br />At 10 PM... The Ohio River Stage At Racine Lock Was 48.7 Feet. The Trend Is Steady. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Racine Lock Is 38 Feet. <br /><br />The River Is Cresting And Will Fall Below Flood Stage Monday Evening. <br /><br />At Stages Near 49 Feet... Ohio Route 124 Near Minersville Is Flooded And West Virginia Routes 33 And 62 Near The Lock Is Flooded. <br /><br />* Pomeroy... <br /><br />At 10 PM..The Stage At Pomeroy Was 50.4 Feet. The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Moderate Flooding Is Forecasted. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Pomeroy Is 46 Feet. <br /><br />The River Is Above Flood Stage And Will Crest Near 50.5 Feet Early Sunday Morning. The Ohio River At Pomeroy Will Then Recede On Sunday... Falling Below Flood Stage Monday Evening. <br /><br />At Stages Near 50 Feet... Parking Lots And The River At The Amphitheater Are Flooded Along The River. Some Secondary Roads Are Flooded Due To Backwater. Businesses Along The River Are Flooded. <br /><br />* Point Pleasant... <br /><br />At 8 PM Saturday... The Ohio River Stage At Point Pleasant Was 45.5 Feet And The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Moderate Flooding Is Forecasted. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Point Pleasant Is 40 Feet. <br /><br />The Ohio River Will Continue To Rise Slowly... Cresting Sunday Morning Near 46 Feet. The River At Point Pleasant Should... Then Fall Below Flood Stage Late Monday Night. <br /><br />At Stages Near 46 Feet... Areas Along The River In Ohio Opposite Point Pleasant Are Flooded. Areas Outside The Flood Wall Near The River Are Flooded. <br /><br />* Huntington... <br /><br />At 10 PM Saturday The Stage At Huntington Was 50.6 Feet. Minor Flooding Is Forecasted And The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Huntington Is 50 Feet. <br /><br />The River Will Continue To Rise To Near 51.5 Feet Sunday Evening. Then Falling Below Flood Stage Tuesday Morning. <br /><br />At Stages Near 51.5 Feet... Route 60 West Near Catlettsburg Kentucky And Near The West Gate Flood Wall Is Flooded. Areas Along The River Around Chesapeake And Proctorville Ohio Will Begin To Flood. Areas Outside The Flood Wall In Huntington Will Begin To Flood. <br /><br />* Ashland... <br /><br />At 10 PM Saturday The Stage At Ashland Was 54.0 Feet. The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Minor Flooding Is Forecasted. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Ashland Is 52 Feet. <br /><br />The River Will Continue To Rise To A Crest Near 54.5 Feet Sunday Morning. The River Will Then Fall Below Flood Stage Monday. <br /><br />At Stages Near 54 Feet... Kentucky Route 3 Is Closed At Catlettsburg. There Will Be Minor Flooding Of Other Roadways In Low Lying Areas Due To Backwater. <br /><br />* Greenup Lock... <br /><br />At 10 PM Saturday The Stage At Greenup Lock Was 54.6 Feet. Minor Flooding Is Forecasted And The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Greenup Lock Is 54 Feet. <br /><br />The River Will Continue To Rise To Near 56 Feet Sunday Evening. Then Falling Below Flood Stage Monday Evening. <br /><br />At Stages Near 56 Feet... Minor Flooding Of Mainly Low Lying Areas Occurs. <br /><br />* R.C.Byrd Lock... <br /><br />At 10 PM Saturday The Stage At Robert C. Byrd Was 49.5 Feet. The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Flood Stage At R.C.Byrd Lock Is 50 Feet. <br /><br />The River Will Crest Near The 50 Foot Flood Stage Sunday Morning. <br /><br />The Next Updated Statement Can Be Expected Around 6 AM Sunday.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I for one am sick of the rain here in Kentucky, but we were fortunate to have temps in the 60's throughout the whole thing. Then, we get a couple of days off without the rain and the temp goes back to near freezing during the day and below at night.<br /><br />Going to be near 70 on Wed though with little chance of rain and then back to the 20's shortly thereafter. I'm VERY tempted to get the boat out.

SpinnerBait_Nut

CH, I too will not say too much about the rain.<br />Just glad it was not all snow. :eek: <br /><br />I put my ol rough tires on the Jeep about a month ago getting ready for the white stuff but it ain't come yet and the wife said, "Leave them on there" :) <br /><br />But man, what sound they make. :eek:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Here's a pic for you folks....<br /><br />
MVC-026F.JPG

Realgun

Commander

I wish everyone the best. Here in New Mexico we would love to have the water. I wonder if it would ever be feasable in these situations( Floods, high water) to pump the water to New Mexico or just to the West in General where we need the water.

aspeck

Staff member

Just heard we lost 3 sailers on a tug in PA. They made it through a lock on the Ohio, and the current sucked them into and over the dam. They were pushing 6 barges. 3 confirmed dead, and one is still missing - they think he is still in the tug. Fire Department personel arrived at the scene before it went over, but couldn't do anything because the current was to swift. Watched the guys yelling for help, then watched them go over, as I understand.<br /><br />Yep, the Ohio River can certainly be nasty! Glad you and all yours are okay, OBJ!