All about fishing Knots.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was reading another thread last night here on whether you tie onto the lure, or if you use leaders, or swivel clasps, etc.... and a few people also chimed in what knot they used.. the thread was 2 years old, and rather than revive it, I am beginning a new one, with a different twist. Pun intended! :)

In all my years fishing, I tied my knots the way my dad and grandpa taught me to....

So I had to do a bit of research, and it turns out I use the Clinch knot.
trace-knot.jpg

It seems the "Improved" Clinch is more popular or more common now?

What do you guys use. Are there any advantages to using your knot? Do you find it easy to tie? DIscuss some tricks and tips you have learned along the way...

Here's a reference to some knots
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php
And here's another few bunch of knots. None of these had my knot in it..
http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

J. Howard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: All about fishing Knots.

I believe the improved clinch knot is to just take the tag end and put it back through the big loop at the end before pulling it tight:

knot.jpg

I know a lot of guys who also use palomar knots:

knot.jpg

Here is a terrific site for all kinds of knots, including boating and fishing:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

As far as tying directly to the lure or using a swivel, I'm about 50/50 on that. I know a lot of people believe that the less terminal tackle, the better, but if I'm planning on switching often, it's so much easier to use a small swivel rather than retying every time.

I'm much closer to the novice end of the scale on experience here, so I'm interested to see other responses.

gonefishie

Commander

I think most peoples started with the clinch knot since it's so simple and reliable. I started with clinch knot but changed to palomar and use it 98 percents of the time. The other knots I use are snell knot for straight shank worm hook and a berkley braid knot for use with braided line. Maybe it's just me but I found that sometime the clinch knot makes the main line just above the knot wrinkle with small twists after I pull it tight. It doesn't matter if I wetted the line before pulling tight or not. That wrinkle is where breakage occurs. Also, sometime I have a hard time threading the tag end back thru the loop. If I have to tie a clinch knot I will thread the tag line thru the hook eye twice before wrapping it around the main line to help with the slipping problem. Advantages of palomar knot are simplicity, speed and you can tie it in the dark.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I've been using the improved clinch knot for I don't know, at least 30 years and it is my favorite, it dosn't matter what you are tying on the end, its always the same amount of difficulty. I do use the palomar a lot now with some of the very fine lines and when I am tying something small on like a swivel or single hook. One tip, if you moisten the line(I use spit), the knot wraps will slide together better. I try to keep terminal tackle to a minimum and nowdays we have some very tiny and strong swivels, so the smaller the better.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't remember when I started using the Uniknot, but I use it for everything with fishing line and never had one fail.

John_S

Rear Admiral

The knot I grew up fishing mono on, was very similiar to the clinch knot, but the line was doubled over.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I use the improved clinch knot or the uni knot for just about everything when fishing with light mono. On braid I use a 10x10 knot.

Heavy mono leaders, #60-80 mono for Stripers, I use a uni knot. For tuna fishing, crimps get the nod.

Here is a terrific site for all kinds of knots, including boating and fishing:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfi...matedknots.com
Interesting thing about that website. Their animation of the uni knot is not correct. At least I've never seen one tied that way.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Palomar. Easiest to do: at night, in the bright sunlight, without glasses and/or with wet frozen fingers. Pretty strong too.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

raven7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use the Palomar knot 95% of the time.