alignment

CRANKIE

Seaman
what would be the prefered way of alignment of an inboard diesel to a jack shaft. lined up within 1/16 of a inch at the flange or 1/2 inch out of alignment (so the joints in the jack shaft can "wear in") i have always aligned them within .004 in. i have a customer that i have installed a new 41 volvo and he insist that it be 1/2 in out. anyone have a opinion?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: alignment

Are you refering to a Jack shaft used to attach the engine to an outdrive or a straight inboard? There is a big difference here?<br />Besides that, if you are installing it, install it properly. Then the customer can make it 1/2" out somewhere, not you.<br />Personally I have never heard of anything adjustes 1/2" out to "wear in". That sounds scarry.

CRANKIE

Seaman

it is a new 41 volvo with a trany (volvo)then a jack shaft to the prop shaft. the prop shaft is 8 feet long with pillow blocks that make it rigid where the jack shaft bolts to it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

on inboards i use .001 inch per inch of flange dia.

Don S

Since your engine is mounted solid, and your prop shaft is mounted solid using the pillow block, I have to assume the "Jack Shaft" has CV (Constant Velosity) joints or even U-Joints at each end of the shaft. It may be that the jack shaft should be exactly inline with the output shaft from the tranny to the propshaft. Possibly this 1/2" offset may be nothing more than adding some angle between the engine and the prop shaft.<br />Personally, I would contact Volvo Tech and see what they say about it. Without seeing what you are actually trying to do, I really hate to say what you should be doing......Does that make any sense???? :confused:

CRANKIE

Seaman

it has cv joints not unlike those in a old vw bug (if you have seen those)i e-mailed volvo and got back 4 pages of alignment specs. i have been doing it right all these years,now to show it to mr customer and like you said let him re-adjust it.

Don S

Had a 66 bug I drove coast to coast..... what a trip :D <br /><br />My suggestion would be to do it by the book, seal the bolts/mounts so you can see if they get moved later and take some pictures. I see you have one of those customers that wants it his way, and if you do it exactly like he wants, and it goes bad (as it will) then your are to blame and the other mechanic he takes it to will verify it.<br />It's your reputation at stake, not the customers. Your decision. Good Luck.