algae & scum staining hull

Cudos

Seaman
Is there a product that can be applied to the hull before your boat hits the water? I have to leave mine in a slip for a couple months and I've been told to expect a scum covered hull that is a real Bi*ch to get off.

Is there any product that can be applied before hand.

Thanks

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: algae & scum staining hull

Yes, it is called ablative bottom paint. Interlux brand has worked quite well for me my boat stays in year round.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yes, it is called ablative bottom paint. Interlux brand has worked quite well for me my boat stays in year round.

I think he's talking about above the paint.

I painted mine this past spring and right now it looks like crap ABOVE the paint...

I'm looking for something that can get it back to it's white shine without melting the paint off as well.....

any ideas?

TilliamWe

Banned

Ok, to CLEAN the fouled hull you will need an acid based cleaner, such as Mary Kate On/Off, or Starbrite's Hull Cleaner, or toilet bowl cleaner.
For a boat left in the water for "a couple" months at a time, you need bottom paint. Nothing else will work. I have used a product call "Super Slick" that is a de-natured wax (looks kind of like neutral boot polish) that you apply thick and leave on. The growth attaches to it, and you can brush off the growth. Problem is, the water wears it away too, and when you brush off the algae, you brush off some of the stuff. After a few brushings, it's gone and the slime/algae is sticking to your hull.
Get the bottom painted with the appropriate bottom paint for your water type, marine growth, and you boat using habits. it may be ablative, it may be hard. But you need bottom paint.