Albacore fishing basics

tonyscj5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am heading out albacore fishing this week end and need some tips. I have fished for tuna before, but it was in mexico on a charter boat so I was only reeling in the fish, not finding and hooking them.<br /><br />What temp water is ideal for albys, what trolling speed? What lures? What size line and rods? How many lines are needed? I have three rod holders and a down rigger on my boat. Also I plan on fishing with my fly rod so I may just troll it and hang on to it. <br /><br />What else do I need to know, I am a salmon fisherman and the tuna are in so close I cant stand it, about 18 miles. Whats the stratagy in tuna fishing. DO I just drive until desighered temp, then throw em out and troll? Or should I find the warm water and follow it untill I find bait and birds? What about when hooked up? I have heard to keep going to keep the school following? What about bleeding out the fish? It is necessary?<br /><br />Please Help me catch some tuna!<br /><br />thanks<br />tony

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Albacore fishing basics

Do your self a favor, take an experienced person along with you the first time out.<br /><br />You do not say where you are from. On the East coast basic setup below.<br /><br />Water temp: >70<br />Troll speed: 7-9<br />Lures: Cedar plugs, jet heads, green machines, feathers, tuna clones.<br />Lines needed: As many as you can put out and handle. 4 minimum, we use 8.<br /><br />Tactics: Find the right temp or temp break and start trolling. They are not always on the surface for you to see. After hookup do not stop for 20 seconds, as you might get multiple fish on. Bleed the fish by slitting throat, you will see blood pumping out, gut and ice catch.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Albacore fishing basics

There are some good forums out of san diego, can't remember the names. I have read them. Alot of their posts are in regards to albies. You may use "buddy boater" as a key word, that should do it. As you probably know it's a big hit, (buddy boaters). post on what you caught. I haven't been out in the big blue pond for a few years...sl