Alarm system works

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
My sister-in-law had a alarm system installed about 2 months ago. My wifes mother for the life of her can not figure out or remember how to disarm the alarm. Well the family attened a Polish church festival all last weekend and we got back late last night and I told my wifes sister I'll stop by tommorrow and get somethings that I did not feel like getting last night. I stopped by today she had left for work already and the alarm was not set, so I set it when I left about 2:30pm today, around 7:00 pm I get a paniced phone call from my wifes mother I can hear the alarm going off in the back round. I told her how to shut it off and I'll be right over. I'm only 5 streets over on the way over there I'm passed by 2 town police officers and when I get there the cops have her spread eagle against the car and my kid tells me to drive by to fix her butt.....I stopped and cleared things up I'm on the call list....but I could have repaid her for some of the stuff she pulled on us..........I'm still laughing

ndemge

Commander
Re: Alarm system works

I got a call from the alarm company at work on the way home. Was storming when I left, so didn't doubt something happened, probably didn't latch the door when I left in a hurry *downpour*... but driving when they called me, ...I'm 2nd on the list,,, said it had been 20 minutes and police had already been dispatched. Too late to turn back and meet them, so $25 fine from the city for false alarm again. Gotta love it.

Twidget

Commander

The neighbors mother and grandmother came by and tried to get in their house one night and couldnt remember the code. Before they opened the door, they asked me for the code. Why would I have it?<br /><br />At any rate, they decided to go in without it. The alarm starts going, they push a few buttons, get mad and leave. <br /><br />Not 2 minutes later the police show up. I told them what happened, but they wanted to search anyway. They were getting backup when the neighbor got home. I told him what happened, the police called off the backup and gave him a ticket for false alarm and not having a permit. <br /><br />About this time his grandmother and mom show back up. They started getting into it pretty good in the front yard. The police officer ended up threatenting to jail him if he didnt quit threatening them.

Twidget

Commander

I signed up with Vonage and was considering my options to keep the phone line for the alarm connected. This didnt make the alarm system happy, it would chirp to let me know it wasnt connected.<br /><br />I had been resetting the chirp for a couple of days and I guess the alarm got tired of it. About 2 one moring it went off, to let me know it was unhappy.<br /><br />That motivated me to get the phones and alarm hooked into the whole house. :)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Was #1 on the call list for the company alarm service. Damn thing would go off if the wind blew too hard. Told the owner of the company about the problem a number of times but to no avail. BTW he was #3 on the call list. When he and #2 on the list were out of town at the same time I new I had my chance if the weather cooperated. See, the boss’s wife had zero interest in the biz. and never traveled unless they were jetting off for vacation. Well a storm blew up the alarm went off, and my caller ID informed me the security monitoring service was calling. It was around 2:30 AM; I turned off the answering machine and let it ring. The rest of the incoming calls went unanswered as well. First thing the next AM at work I received a call from the boss, seems his wife received 3 calls between 2:30 and 6:00 AM regarding the alarm going off, she had to drive to the plant 3 times to meet the Sheriffs Dept. and reset the alarm. He wanted me to contact the service people and have them go through the security system and correct the faults. Go Figure. He also asked me if we had phone problems due to the weather as he’d tried to contact me the night before, so his wife would not have to respond to the calls, but he received no answer. BTW if I was called out due to weather setting off the system I just left it unarmed for the remainder of the night, did not want to have to respond to any more false alarms that particular night. HA.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Good thinking Limited Time!<br /><br />I personally think alarms are a waste of money. Everyone ignores them now.<br /><br />Ken

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

When we bought our house 5 years ago, the previous owners had a Brinks system installed. At $20/month I discontinued the service, and asked them (phone calls and letters) to remove the equipment. Six months later, still no Brinks, so I removed all the stuff, left the wiring, bought all new stuff (eBay, total cost, ~ $100), and hooked it up.<br /><br />About that same time, there was a news story of a 2-yr old in Canada that wandered out of the house into the cold, and died. With 2 small boys, we set our alarm to chirp on the opening of a door, and haven't looked back. In another 10-years, when they start driving, we'll probably still have it set to chirp.<br /><br />We've set-it a few times (vacations), and have all the signs and a fancy outdoor speaker, so maybe it's a deterrent. But just the peace of mind knowing when a door is opened, makes ours well worth the money.

Twidget

Commander

We have the doors and windows set to chirp for that reason Ed. It might be handy when my son is older. :) <br /><br />I dont know if they ever did it, but the city of Arlington, TX was discussing not answering alarms unless there was someone there to answer the phone. :confused: :rolleyes: