Alarm Question

jmoffett

Recruit
I have a 2003 200BR with the 5.0 MPI Alpha. It's new to me so I have no past experience with it, and I experienced an intermittent alarm yesterday afternoon while waiting my turn at the ramp to put it on the trailer. The manual indicates that the intermittent alarm is to alert for low drive oil, and it would be a continuous alarm if it was related to oil pressure or operating temperature. I posted on this and a couple other issues earlier, but I've narrowed the symptoms somewhat so I thought I would start another thread for my questions.

I took it back out today and the intermittent alarm continued to sound every 3 minutes or so. I took out across the lake and eventually worked my way up to WOT. Everything was fine until I started trimming the drive up and got a continuous alarm. I pulled the throttle back to neutral and the alarm quit, but the intermittent alarm continued every few minutes. I attempted several times to trim the drive up at WOT, and even trimmed up and then opened the throttle. I know it wasn't a matter of the drive being trimmed too far up because all it would take was a couple bumps on the switch before the alarm would sound. I could trim the drive up as far as I wanted as long as the throttle wasn't wide open, and I could go WOT with the drive tucked all the way in with no problem.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Alarm Question

Do you have a seperate depth finder in your dash? I've had a few customers think the alarm on the depth finder was a motor alarm. Don't know why it would act as you describe, just a thought.

James

jmoffett

Recruit

There is a depth finder, but I was in about 100' of water much of the time the alarm was sounding.

45Auto

Commander

The manual indicates that the intermittent alarm is to alert for low drive oil

Well, did you check the drive oil in the remote resorvoir? Was it ok?

45Auto

Commander

If you go to the "Adults Only" sticky at the top of this forum, you can download Mercruiser Manual #36, ECM 555 Diagnostics, which tells you the different faults that can cause the beeps.

jmoffett

Recruit

Someone on the Sea Ray forum mentioned that the intermittent alarm might be a bad Idle Air Control module. Sure enough, there was evidence that the connector to the IAC had been hot. I unplugged it and the intermittent alarm quit. What are the chances that this was the cause of my WOT/Trim Up issue?