Alarm going off 1996 Wellcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

toomuchclub_1113

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1996 Wellcraft Excel 21SL, with a 4.3LX Alpha 1. The problem is about 3 weeks ago I left the key in and "ON" but not running. I left the boat and about 7 hours later got a call saying I left the key in and a high pitch whine was coming from the boat.<br /><br />I assumed it was a low battery indicator but this doesn't appear to be the case as the battery is fully charged. The alarm now comes on usually after I run it maybe 20min, stop and re-start. The sales guy at the wellcraft dealer said this was a Low Oil Pressure Indicator, but I'm not buying that....again it only comes on when the engine is NOT running. The alarm has 2 wires coming in to it, it's located just aft of the throttle under a console and is about the size of a quarter.<br /><br />Any Thoughts?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Alarm going off 1996 Wellcraft

Most engines have an oil sending unit for the guage and a low oil pressure switch that goes to the alarm. Normally when you just turn the key to the "on" position the alarm sounds because there is no oil pressure yet, as soon as the engine is started and a little pressure builds up the alarm turns off. Some engines even have a high temp switch wired in parallel with the low oil switch so that either condition will set off the alarm. If your water and oil pressure guages show OK then you may have a flakey oil/temp switch. The alarm usually has 2 wires going to it, one is 12volts that comes from the ignition switch and the other is the ground that comes from the oil/temp switch, you should be able to narrow it down by disconnecting the wires when it alarms. Sorry for the long answer, hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.