airless paint sprayer storage fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRS

Banned
Purchased a $400 airless sprayer to do my house. They suggest filling the sprayer with their brand of "storage solution" to prevent corrosion, etc. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative... maybe antifreeze? Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: airless paint sprayer storage fluid

Paint Thinner ??

KRS

Banned

I wouldn't think so. They only refer to their product as "pump armor", it is sucked up the suction tube, circulated through the system, then the pump is shut off, and the pump is stored with this fluid inside.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe Mineral oil, but why chance it...how much does the storage fluid cost that ya wanna risk the internals of a 400 doller rig?

KRS

Banned

Don't want to chance it, but I live far enough from any retailer that I has this sprayer shipped to me, it should have contained a "first-use" bottle of storage fluid.... it wasn't there. To avoid damage to the unit, I want to store it properly.<br /><br />I found the MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheet) on the internet for Pump Armor, it is 40-60% Ethelene Glycol, 40-50% water, and the remaining is "additives".<br /><br />I know they use anti-freeze when storing agricultural spray equipment, to lubricate the seals and prevent freezing.<br /><br />I may try anti-freeze in my paint sprayer, but I was hoping that someone has experience/knowledge of this?

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

don't put anti freeze in your Graco, use the pump armor. its not that expensive and will not void your warranty. what model did you buy?

KRS

Banned

I bought the XR7, do you have one?

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

no I dont, the company I work for has a contract with a large retailer to repair and service these and other returned items. The XR7 is a nice unit, biggest problem with them is improper cleaning and storage with out Pump Armor. Just clean it by the book and run the Pump Armor in it and you will be good to go next time.

KRS

Banned

Thank you for the info. I cleaned it per the specs (used power flush valve), and I will get the pump armor.

KRS

Banned

I called Graco, their tech service dept stated that Mineral Spirits can be used until the pump armor comes. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Status
Not open for further replies.