Air Silencer

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1992 Evinrude e90tlend and I have been having a problem where my engine will only run with the cowling off. I can get it to crank in the water with the cowling off but it runs very rough and when I try to take off it cuts off. I can remedy this if I take the cowling off. It runs great when I do this. I was looking at my service manual today and I realized I am missing the plastic cover that goes over the carbs. It is called the Air silencer could this be my problem rather than an exhaust leak? I am wating for my powerhead to adapter gasket to arrive so I am beginning to believe that maybe this Air Silencer could be the problem. Thanks in advance for the help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Air Silencer

Well the silencer is part of the induction system and may very well affect the operation, but I sort of doubt that it is the cause of grief in your case.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is it very crucial to the engine or will I be alright without it because I cannot find one to buy anywhere? It appears they now longer make them. Not even on ebay.

iwombat

Captain

Would you like one or two dozen?

I'll send you a PM.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Re-locate your spark plug wires so that the are not close to the metal latches on the engine cover.

Then check for exhaust leaking back into the engine compartment.