air or water cooled?

basszzilla

Seaman
I have a 73 evinrude 2 hp #2302 and dont know if it is air or water cooled. Just to be safe all test runs have been in a barrell. I haven't seen any signs of water discharge and there are no obvious water inlet or outlet, just a small hole in the shaft housing just below the motor.I just got this motor running, it was sitting on a shelf in a body shop for thirty years. once I got all of the debris off of it it looked brand new. I removed the tank, cover, recoil starter and carb. I cleaned, reassembeled and replaced gear oil in lower. started on first pull and runs great, although getting the carb reset for high and low speed was a little time consuming. am going to store this little motor in my bass boat in case of emergency, just dont want to burn it up. :D

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: air or water cooled?

Take a look at the powerhead. If it is watercooled, everything will be smooth. If it is aircooled, the cylinder and head will have fins. Sometimes you don't have any water discharge from the small motors. I have a little 5.5 that the water discharges down through the leg. When in the water you can't tell where it is discharging.

Paul Moir

Admiral

It's water cooled. Probably the water pump impeller has deteriorated from sitting; you should be seeing a strong mist coming from the idle exhaust relief holes. I belive you engine has four of them, half way up the midsection at the back of the engine.

D

DJ

basszzilla,<br /><br />I just finished tuninng up a 1976 2 hp. for a neighbor.<br /><br />Yes, those adjustable low and high speed jets are a pain.<br /><br />Here's a tip. The packing for the jet screws gets old and will: 1. let air by 2. will not hold the jet screw tight. Yopu can get the packing washers seperate from the carb kit.