Air lock

Bruce53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sure getting the best on this forum and I do need it. How do I avoid an air pocket in the top when I do my initial start? The book says something about the sign of water coming out of the exhaust maniford but that water hasn't gotten into the head - the thermostat is closed and all water is bypassed to the manifold. To make matters worse, my boat is bow-down on a slight incline that I can't avoid and I would like to run it on a garden hose first; the ramp is many miles away. Do I have to go somewhere that gives me a bow-up configuration, without the hose, and would that do it anyhow?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Air lock

It's usually not a problem with a raw water cooled engine. There is a bypass in the thermostat housing that allows water to the exhaust. The block usually fill with water because it's forced there by the raw water pump in the drive. If there is any air, it usually goes thru the bypass.

Bondo

Staff member

my boat is bow-down on a slight incline that I can't avoid

Jack Up the tongue,.......

Btw,......
The T-Stat stops water from Leaving the Block,..... It Doesn't stop it from Filling.........

Bruce53

Petty Officer 3rd Class

THAT, I did not know! Once water got there, I figured the elboe riser held all water after shutdown. Live and learn. It scares me because, when I was a kid one hundred years ago, I burned a cylinder after an overhaul when I ran the car without allowing the "pin hole" to completely fill the engine. Alas, the marine t-stat has no pin hole. Thanks Don.....

Bruce53

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thought of that Bond-O. Problem is: the jack is as high as possible now and the incline is not as slight as I thought.....

Bondo

Staff member

Move the Jack closer to the Axle,........ You'll gain more Travel from it.......

And I don't necessarily mean the Trailer's Jack,.....

Just Any Other Jack........