Air cooled regulator from a late model 70hp. Seahorse ?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Air cooled regulator from a late model 70hp. Seahorse ?

The air cooled regulator is #585001 and costs around $238.

It's still cheaper and easier to install a group 27 or 31 battery to absorb the extra voltage or wire 2 marine batteries in parallel to accomplish the same thing.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was hoping that you might read my query. My starting battery is a group 24. No room for a larger one. My house battery is a group 31. The other day after startup the voltage quickly increased to 17.6v and the control box alarm sounded a steady beep. I turned on all accessories but it remained over 17v. When I turned my battery switch to "both" the alarm stopped and the voltage returned to normal on both banks. Today I bypassed my battery switch( thinking it might be bad) and with the motor connected directly to the group 24 I started it up. Same story. Skyrocketing voltage and the alarm scream. This is a new behavior (after 18 years). Battery connections are tight, tach is functioning normally, and it charges normally with batteries combined. It is a wet-cell and it's full of water. 4 1/2 years old. Does this sound like a bad rectifier or a shorted battery ?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Try a different battery as that is what "regulates" the output voltage in an unregulated system.

Use a digital voltmeter on the battery terminals to check the voltage, do not rely on the dash mounted meter.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A shorted battery would pull the voltage down, not increase it. Since the voltage levels out when both batteries are on line, I would suspect the start battery is on its way to battery heaven. As suggested, try a different battery.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Silvertip said:
A shorted battery would pull the voltage down, not increase it. Since the voltage levels out when both batteries are on line, I would suspect the start battery is on its way to battery heaven. As suggested, try a different battery.
Had battery tested and it's ok. Ran motor on hose on battery 1, battery 2, and batteries 1+2 together. Voltage skyrockets and alarm starts sounding at 14.2 volts and grows louder as voltage increases. UNLESS, I combine(1+2) AND I put a load on the system. On the water that load is sonar/gps/vhf. On the hose it's navigation lights. Under the last two scenarios the voltage plateaus at about 13 volts and there is no alarm. As to the rectifier/regulator mentioned by Seahorse (#585001), does it use the existing rectifier mounting holes or will I need to fabricate an adapter bracket ? Any other changes or does it wire up the same as stock ?