Air conditioning on Thundercraft 280 magnum.

ulster

Cadet
We got delivery of our 280 in May this year had a great summer spent a lot of time on board.<br />My question is I have a water cooled ac system Compressor,(water cooled)an evapator and air transfer fan from a large frige which is now obsolete, it is in great working condition I also have a friend who is an ac expert who will help install, has anyone tried to install a water cooled ac in their boat? an if so where could I run the cooling hose or install the evapator?

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Air conditioning on Thundercraft 280 magnum.

First of all, as far as I know ALL marine air-conditioning systems on cabin cruiser type boats are water cooled(unlike house boats). They have a raw water pump that circulates lake or river water through the system then discharges it out the side of the boat. Installing a system like this in a boat requires thought and planning. I would suggest that you visit one of the company websites that make these systems to get an idea of the usual considerations for installing one.<br />www.marineair.com is an excellent site from one of the largest companies building boat air conditioners. I have installed several of their systems in Cabin cruisers for myself and for customers boats.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Ulster...I used to have a Thundercraft 290 very similar to your 280, now we have a 340. We didn't have air in the 290 and I don't recall ever seeing it in one but 2 locations come to mind, under the seat at the dinette or in the cavity under the v berth. As waterone said, marine air conditioners are water cooled (except the carry on ones that sit over a hatch). The water pickup would normally be in the engine compartment (like the one for the head), then the water pump must be mounted very low (under the waterline) in order to work because they are not self priming. The marine units are normally built together in one package (have a look at some websites to see how they are designed/packaged) once the water goes through the unit it usually goes out a thru hull on the side. Something to keep in mind is that these units create condensation and where is that water going to drain to?, there have been many folks with wet carpets due to poor draining or even musty smelly areas under the floor. You really want to think this through carefully....good luck!

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

It's going to be a lot of work to get it from the engine compartment.If your 280 aft cabin is layed out like my 290 then I know you can cut into the plywood top under the cushions. I did this on both sides of the U and ended up with some nice storage area's underneath, long enough to put fishing rods into,the piece I cut out became the lid. Anyway under there is the hull and you cut a hole at one for access to the engine compartment however at the other end port side you will come out to the stairs and stbd you have the head, you may be able to fish it through under the satirs and end up around the dinette somewhere. It's been 9 years since we had the 290 so my memory of the layout might be a bit fuzzy.

ulster

Cadet

Thanks for the input,<br />Yes I undestand how the a/c system works however my challange is if I install the unit in the engine compartment and have the evaporator there also so the condensation can run into the bilge is there a path I can run lets say a 5" flex hose to the cabin area to transfer the cool air?

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have no clue about the layout of your boat. I would like to warn you that most, if not all air conditioning compressors are not spark or combustion proof....they should NOT be installed in the engine compartment! I would suggest installing the unit in the cabin, if possible a couple of feet above water level. That way you can install a thru-hull on the side of the boat to allow condesation to drain. By the way, Boat US and West Marine sell a device that will suck out your condensation and discharge it with your expelled water.....don't need two lines.

Snookster

Seaman

Make sure your resident expert installs a large canister type filter plumbed to the thru hull for water pick up -- if trash gets in your condensor, you've got a whole new set of problems. On equipment location, find any place you can retrive the unit for future service - watch your fuseing size - do'nt cheat, locked rotor on compressors is 3 to 10 X full load amps.<br /><br />I'm an A/C contractor - call me if I can help

ulster

Cadet

Thanks Guy's the boat is now stored for winter so I will look into the install after launch.