Ain't my trailer wiring...

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer
...it's my truck. I noticed awhile back that when I turned on my left or right turn signal both lamps would flash (like hazards). I traced every wire on the trailer & even replaced the plug. I bought a utility trailer last week & while checking the lamps I noticed the same exact problem. I guess there is a wire chaffed somewhere? Everything else works as it should. It's just my turn signals.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ain't my trailer wiring...

It certaily sounds like your truck. Hook up the trailer to another vehicle to be sure it's not the trailers by some coincidence.

How does your truck blinkers work - as expected? If so, question the trailer harness on the truck.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

If its an older truck (no bag) I would look at the steering column. At least on both my dodge trucks the hazard switch and turn signal are located real close and might be in same multipurpose switch.

Good luck

andy w.

Recruit

What kind of truck & what year?A lot of vehicles combine the brake light circuit into the cobination switch(turn signal switch).What happens is instead of sending the12v from the brake switch directly to the bright filament of the bulb on it's own indepenent wire,it sends the 12v to the bright filament on the same wires that the directionals use.Are you using a standard 4 pin plug?If you are you might have to utilize the white wire (ground wire) for a turn signal wire & run a separate ground(a 5th wire).Hope this helps...I had to do it to my jeep for pretty much same thing.If you need specifics let me know...I got acess to ton of diagrams.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

It's a 97 4runner (with bag). I'm using a 4 pin plug. I might be moving down to Florida by the end of the month, so I need to get it figured out soon.

cribber

Lieutenant

Is your 4 pin plug hardwired into your lights or are you using an aftermarket plug and play wiring harness with a converter module? My aftermarket harness with the converter module was acting strangely after towing a trailer with electric brakes which blew the converter giving me weird indications similar to yours.

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I?ll guess to and tell you the problem is where the trailer harness connects to the original truck harness.

reece3223

Cadet

my truck had the same problem 2000 f 150 with factory tow package.
I spent many hours trying to figure out why my #$%%# lights would not work.
My neighbor came over same truck hooked up the trailer lights to his truck worked just fine. Turns out the plug on my truck had corroded inside causing a poor ground took it apart cleaned it repacked it with electrical grease and it worked fine. i have now added this to my service routine of the truck. hope this helps good luck