aftermarket rack n pinion

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My steering is progressively getting stiffer and stiffer. My boat came with an aftermarket rack n pinion system. It doesn't seem to have grease fittings or lube points at the wheel, or in the rack/pinion unit behind the wheel, or in the helm end of the steering cable. Only a grease fitting at the motor end. Any ideas on how to get some lube into the steering gear, and the cable at the helm end?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Steerin' racks, 'n cables are not serviceable,.... The grease fittin' at the aft end is to lube the motor connection,....

If the cable, 'n rack are the Tight points, Replacement is the cure,...

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's what I was afraid of. I think I'll start by taking off the steering wheel and dripping some lightweight oil down the steering shaft and turning it. Then I'll more closely inspect the rack-n-pinion gear box for any access points. It does feel like it is binding, but rather that whatever grease was in the mechanism has stiffened. Any ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why don't you eliminate something first? Disconnect the cable from steering link on the motor first and see if the motor swings easily from side to side. But it probably is the cable or R&P, possibly both.