After running around a bit, takes a few cranks to fire back up

evilnss

Seaman
2000 Bayliner Capri 5.0L Mercruiser w/ Alpha Gen 2 Outdrive.

When starting the boat after taking it off the trailer, I'll put it in neutral and give it gas 1-2 times and then put it back in the locked position, hit the key and 90% of the time it will fire right on up.

But after we have been driving around and we stop to swim or stop to tube. its take 3-4 times cranking it for it to finally start up. I do the whole neutral and give it gas again. ive even tried start it with it in neutral forward a bit. but still takes its normal 3-4 times to fire back up.

Any ideas?

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: After running around a bit, takes a few cranks to fire back up

Not exactly sure what you mean by 'give it gas'. If you simply move the throttle control forward a few times, it probably doesn't do any thing.

In any case, crank 4 times to get a motor to run isn't really a problem in my book. Of course, if you want perfection, you can start out by checking compression, rebuild fuel pump, rebuild carb if you got one.... There is always way to dump more money into your boat.

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like a fuel supply issue. Try pumping the pimer bulb before you start it this next time.

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with asm, having to turn it over 3 or 4 times during a hot day after running around doesn't sound too bad. Keep in mind that motor is designed to start quickly when it is cold, after running around all day you are in that relm of not really needing to choke but can't start without throttle. Sorry to tell you but I would count my blessings and leave it alone until it becomes a bigger problem. But like he said you can make a list of all fuel delivery parts and replace them on by one and hopefully it will go away.